Scott Rogers

Chicago, Illinois

Bargaining at markets

Can someone tell me if bargaining at the markets in Istanbul, or Turkey in general, is customary? If so, to what degree, for example, if I see a shirt for $30, what should I offer the vendor? I've never really had to bargain for anything before, but I heard it's actually considered rude in some places not to bargain, so I want to make sure I do it right and also that I don't pay too much!

• Pala Hadassah Dan

Yes. It is customary. They call the outside markets "bazaars" which have a lot of vendors and store owners will bargain too. If you really like something, pick it up, examine, ask the price, put it or give it back, and just say "thank you" ... as you walk away they will begin to bargain with you. A shirt for $30 - go down to $15. Some will really haggle with you about the price. I wanted a leather purse that was $65 and bought it for $40.

Another note, don't exchange currency at the local currency exchanger. Instead, figure out what the current exchange rate is that day and some vendors and store owners will exchange it for you to avoid the high exchange rate fee. Glad someone told me that while I was visiting.

• Scott R.

Scott R.

I'm going to try to exchange enough money in the States before I leave, but that's good to know if I need some extra $$$. This is exactly what i needed to know!!! Thank you Pala!!! · (0 likelikes)

• Pala H.

Pala H.

* Carry a calculator if you can. Or use your phone if you have access to an "exchange rate calculator" app. I have one on my phone. Don't trust everyone. * Learn some basic Turkish. You can buy a book. Saved me while interacting with vendors. * Taxi drivers smoke. Everyone smokes there. I have asthma and we had to tip our taxi driver a little more so he wouldn't smoke in the cab. * Stay within the city limits. Nightclubs if you dare but it's mostly men because women are considered prostitutes, and they usually are, if they approach you. * You can't drink the water in Turkey. So buy a few bottles and test them. We tested all of them and only found two that didn't taste like crude oil. * The "donar" lamb or chicken wraps sold at the kiosks throughout the city are really good and filling. When we were there they were $2 and we'd take a couple back to the hotel room with us. Coffee is the worse. Don't even try it. We drank tea. Everyone drinks tea in Turkey. * There is a shopping district about 4 stations away close to Taksim where they have all the designer clothes shops. If you're into shopping. Take your time and compare prices. They want to sell you something. * Money - be careful. Only take your money out when paying for something. * Trains and subways - hold onto your wallet, bag, or purse. The trains are packed. I was told to be careful of thieves. * The Blue Mosque - a must see! There is a huge bazaar nearby. * Enjoy! I want to go back someday. · (0 likelikes)

• Mustafa Fatih K.

Mustafa Fatih K.

i live istanbul i can help all people :) · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Pala a Thank You Note