Aude C

Los Angeles, California

Best boutique hotel in Tulum

Hello! What hotel do you recommend in Tulum, Mexico? My husband and I prefer small and intimate boutique hotels if right on the beach. My budget is max $250 per night. Would you recommend to rent a car to transfer from the airport and do some site seeing? Thanks a bunch!

• James Scaggs

Hello Aude,

I've been to Tulum and all over Playa with friends that live there and our favorite boutique hotel is Papaya Playa It's right on the beach, pristine beaches, and intimate without all the tourist traffic.

http://www.papayaplayaproject.com/

If you rent a car you had better know your way around even if you have GPS. If you don't want to waste any time getting lost or asking directions etc. I would just use the ADO bus line to transfer from the hotel and then taxi around for sightseeing.

If you want to find the ADO station at the airport just walk past all of the vendors inside the airport trying to sell you cars and trips. When you get outside turn to your right and walk all the way down and you will see buses coming in and out. ADO ticket window is there by the buses.

*NOTE* once you get your tickets make sure you know what pick up time and bus line you are on, if you miss your bus there's a fee to change.

The actual cost for the tickets is about $30 round trip per person from Cancun Airport to Tulum. http://www.ado.com.mx/ado/index.jsp

As far as sightseeing goes there is a lot to do and it really depends on what you like. I suggest connecting with some local private guides who can take you around all the different beaches, sites, etc for a fee.

If you want some personal recommendations let me know and I can get you some tour guides I know.Papaya Playa

Alternatively you can look up tours and things to do when you get there...if you go that route have a look at our iphone app for finding and booking things to do in Cancun, Playa, & Riviera Maya at http://app.yucatango.com/

1. Papaya Playa (hotel)

• ·
    • ·

Send James a Thank You Note