• Laurene Tagg
  • "Travel cards vs credit cards vs cash"

Laurene Tagg

Cessnock, New South Wales

Travel cards vs credit cards vs cash

Is it best to have a travel card from bank, or use credit cards or carry cash

• Sean Kelly

Hello Laurene,

A lot depends on several factors; where you traveling to, how long you'll be there, and what activities you'll be taking part of.

One thing is certain; you can't rely on only one form of payment. I worked in banking operations for twenty years. Most of that time was spent dealing with electronic banking systems (ATM cards, Debit cards, ect). I can't begin to tell you how many phone calls I received started with, "My card didn't work!" Relying on only one bank card, or only one credit card invites problems.

That said, one of the best thing you can do for yourself is to use cash whenever possible. Use your bank cards or credit cards to obtain cash from automated teller machines, rather than carrying cash to your destination and exchanging it. In spite of the fees placed on top the exchange rate, ATMs are still the most economical way to obtain local currency.

Depending on where you travel to, many places are not set up for card use. This is specially true in very rural areas or at smaller establishments. There are still restaurant in major cities in the United States that do not take credit cards. You can minimize expenses by only withdrawing what you need for several days, and only carrying what you'll need for one day.

In addition, using the local currency is appreciated by the locals. They seem to respect the fact that you made an effort to "figure out" their money. This goes a long way toward a more pleasant experience when traveling. I know this sounds somewhat funny. That's because, well, it is! With the exception of the pictures and colors, money is pretty much the same all over the world. 100 of the small things equals one of the bigger things. There are various denominations of small things on the way up to the bigger thing, and larger denominations of the bigger thing to avoid carrying a whole bunch of the bigger things.

Where you're traveling impacts your withdrawal frequency, also. For instance, traveling in the US or EU there is a great deal of space between boarders that will require you to use a different currency. Therefore, you can make fewer, though be it larger, withdrawals. This same thought applies to how long you'll be traveling (or at least how long you'll be traveling in any one country).

Finally, the things you'll be doing in you travels will dictate the type of payments you can use. As I said earlier, there are still plenty of restaurants that don't accept credit cards. Trying to pay for a donkey/camel/elephant ride with a credit card? Good luck! On the other hand, don't bother trying renting a car without one. I don't know of a hostel or B&B that accepts credit/debit cards. Then again, trying to pay cash at an intercontinental-style business hotel is like trying to barter chickens for gasoline at a filling station.

So, here is what I usually do.

A) I carry one credit card, one bank/debit card, and a little bit of "starter cash" for my initial destination.

B) I withdraw cash from ATM machines that are in, or attached to a bank.

C) I carry one day's worth of cash in my pocket, and I carry both my cards and the bulk of my cash in a money belt.

D) When I travel with a companion, I make sure they do the same, and I make sure the accounts attached to the bank card are different from mine.

E) I make use of on-line banking to transfer funds, pay bills and such, ONLY when I'm assured of a secure network connection.

F) and always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS contact your bank prior to departure and inform them that you'll be traveling, where you know you'll be traveling to, and when you'll be traveling.

A final thought; Over the years I've developed an emergency back-up system in case of a real catastrophic situation. I usually have an extra credit card, ATM/Debit card, and a day or two of cash in an envelope I've left with a trusted relative. In the event that I loose everything, I can call them so that they send it to the local embassy, consulate, hotel, ect. I also admit that I've never had to make use of it. So, the long run I usually just annoy that trusted relative.

• Laurene T.

Laurene T.

Will definately take your advise. Thankyou · (0 likelikes)

• Laurene T.

Laurene T.

What do you think of the 28Degrees credit card? I have noticed a lot of travel forums recommend it. · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Sean a Thank You Note