• Sérgio Nogueira
  • "Should I take yen to Tokyo or is it easy to get good exchange rates?"

Sérgio Nogueira

Lisbon, Portugal

Should I take yen to Tokyo or is it easy to get good exchange rates?

Goingo to Japan, arriving in Tokyo. I would like to know if I should take some Yen with me or if it is easy to get good rates to exchange Euros.

I read that ATM machines are available for Visa Electron cards, but there are bank commissions on top, so I think I have to make as less withdrawals as I can.

Thanks

• Christopher Barraud

I've recently spent a bit of time in Japan and ATMs are one of the most infuriating things (amongst other particularly Japan things). Yes, there are ATMs and yes, they may take your card. The problem is that ATMs are not in plentiful supply. I lived in Osaka, a particularly large city and only had a small handful of machines within a 30 minute walk that would take my Australian ATM card. Even wandering through one of their massive shopping malls, I would only find a correct ATM after a frantic search. From what I've found, there are ATMs that will have the Visa, Plus, Maestro or Cirrus logo on it and they still will spit out my card seconds after inserting it. In the end I found 7eleven ATMs the best, but I can't comment if that will be the same for a card from Portugal.

Exchange rates are fine - Japan isn't really a place where you'll get ripped off getting money changed. Money changers are usually fine with the Euro BUT the language barrier will make the money changing process a pain. Some places get you to fill out a lot of confusing forms. Also, money changers can be hard to find.

My suggestion:

1. Bring some Yen with you. But not a lot. Enough to cover you for 2+ days. This will be enough time for you to find an ATM/Money changer.

side note: If the exchange rate at home is good, bring more Yen to save your sanity. For many first timers, Tokyo is stressful over the first few days. Don't let money add to the stress.

2. Ask your bank about fees. My bank (Citibank Australia) doesn't charge me anything for withdrawals, yet my other two banks will charge me a international withdrawal fee as well as a currency exchange fee. Oh, some ATMs charge a withdrawal fee on top of that too. A 10,000 Yen transaction suddenly could cost an extra 3,500 just because of fees!

In the end, I lived on my Citibank ATM card and never exchanged my Australian dollars as it worked out to be the best option. If your bank doesn't have a fee-free option, maybe find a bank that does and open an account just for the holiday?

Tip: Japan is a cash society. Bank cards are rarely accepted. Everyone has wads of cash on them. Thankfully, Japan is extremely safe. Nobody gets mugged.

Another tip: Never leave the front door without at least 5,000 Yen in your pocket. Just in case.

Look, one more tip: Get a Suica/Pasmo (smart card for transport) as cash + public transport = headache. Plus you can use your smart card to buy drinks and food on certain machines.

Extra tip for the above tip: get a personalised Suica card. Usually called a MySuica. You'll need a Japanese phone number prior hand for the machine. Benefits of the card is that if you lose it, you can get your money back. Tourists often lose their cards in the sea of people during rush hour.

Yet another tip: If you spend big in large department stores, you can get your tax back. Make sure you have your passport on you. There is usually signage that explain where to go to cash back.

One last tip: Get a rail pass if you're leaving Tokyo.

Phew!

Oh bother. I wrote another Trippy novel again.

• ·
    • ·

Send Christopher a Thank You Note