Kim Dayman

Canada

Short Layover in Tokyo

On my way home from my upcoming SE Asia trip I scored a layover in Tokyo. My flight arrives in HND at 9am and leaves again out of HND at 5:30pm. This will give me at least a couple hours to explore Tokyo and stretch my legs a bit before heading home. I know how short on time I will be but would like to get out of the airport and see a couple things while I have the chance (who knows when I'll be back in Japan!)

My question is - what would be my best plan of attack? I can take the train into the city but given the time of day I don't know how well I'd navigate busy transit and I'm not sure which sites or areas of the city to explore. Do you think it's worth paying for a guide to make sure I don't get lost and stay on track time wise? I'd like to visit Takeshita Dori, Shibuya, have a bowl of ramen, maybe visit an arcade and buy some manga - typical touristy stuff on the cheap. Any help is appreciated!  

• Shibuya (metro area)

Shibuya Tokyo

• Shinjuku (metro area)

Tokyo 160-0021 03-3209-1111

• Shibuya Station (attraction)

道玄坂1-1-1 渋谷区 東京都 150-0043

• Christopher Barraud

You could make it happen but depending on the type of traveler you are it could be a bit overwhelming. Judging by your blog though, I'd say you'll be more than equipped to deal with the confusion.

Getting through customs and whatnot will take you an 30-60 mins (maybe 90 mins tops if you're unlucky and multiple large planes land at the same time). Depending on your budget, you can jump on a monorail/train which will take less than an hour to get to where you're going.

I'm assuming you'll want to return to the airport about 2 hours before your flight. So you'll roughly have 3-4 hours to play with (I'm being conservative).

Regarding where to go, do research before hand on Shinjuku, Shibuya,Ginza. These places should cater to all your needs and you won't need to stray too far from the train station.

Out of the 3, I'd recommend Shibuya. Shopping, food, anime, arcades, everything kawaii etc are all there in plentiful supply. If you're fit and don't mind pounding the pavement, I'd go to Shibuya station, walk around the station and then meander north to Harajuku station. Its about a 2.5km walk in total depending on how much you get lost but you'll cross off all the items on your list.

Tips: Just because its such an advanced city, English can be a rarity. You're going to tourist areas so it won't be so bad but I do remember a time when I went to a 'tourist information booth' and found that nobody spoke english.

Japan is a cash society so make sure you have plenty of Yen on you (use an ATM at the airport - they will be more friendly to foreign cards and finding an ATM in Japan can be extremely hard at times).

If you have bags, dump them in a locker at the airport. They're safe and you don't want to burden yourself. Just bring a wallet/purse and smartphone with offline maps pre-loaded (you can get a SIM at the airport if you have money to burn - wifi will be available at places but the sign-up page are often Japanese only).

• Kim D.

Kim D.

Perfect tips and just what I was looking for thanks! · (0 likelikes)

1. Shinjuku (metro area)
    2. Shibuya (metro area)
    3. Ginza (region)

• ·
    • ·

Send Christopher a Thank You Note