Sunil Gupta

Mountain View, California

Must-try restaurants in Tokyo

Going to Tokyo for the first time with my fiance for our honeymoon in fall of 2014 and we love to eat.  What must we try there?  We're open to anything, but if it helps narrow it down, I love sushi and my fiance has a thing for noodles.

• Tsukiji Fish Market (neighborhood)

5 Chome-2-1 Chuo Tokyo 104-0045 03-3542-1111

• Bird Land (restaurant)

104-0061 03-5250-1081

• Sukiyabashi Jiro (restaurant)

2−15 4丁目 Chuo Tokyo 104-0061 03-3535-3600

• Andrew Zimmern

I've got quite a few recommendations...

For sushi:

• Sushi Mizutani is hidden in the basement of an office building. It's hard to find and even harder to get a table. Take it from me though, the search is worth it.
    • Nobu Tokyo is where world-renowned sushi chef Nobu Matsuhisa serves up incrediable sushi at this lively sushi bar. The ingredients are bought daily at the local Tsukiji Market.
    • Sushi Dai, located in the Tsukiji Market, is one of the top sushi restaurants in the world. The wait is long, but it is worth it.
    • By the way, Tsukiji Fish Market is a must. I could people watch all morning at Tsukiji, world's largest fish market. The diversity of offerings can delight any seafood lover's cravings. Go early to watch the auctions. You won't believe the prices some of these fish garner.

For noodles:

Here are some other places in the city for really good traditional Japanese food:

• Don’t let the appearance of Robata of Tokyo scare you. It might be a little small, but it makes up for it in a big way with the food. And no need to order. Just say how much you want to spend and they'll take care of the rest.
    • Isehiro: When the ingredients of a dish are each hand selected by the chef, you know it's going to be good.
    • The chefs at Raku-tei take their food seriously, which leads to some pretty serious tempura.
    • Ganchan is so fun. The wait staff are always in a good mood and you can't help but enjoy the restaurant's sound track.
    • Bird Land: Named after Weather Report's jazz-fusion song "Birdland," the restaurant plays plenty of jazzy tunes. Sit down, grab a perfectly grilled skewer and enjoy the dulcet tones.
    • Onyasai: Personalize your shabu-shabu by choosing your soups and ingredients. I like mine spicy with the "hinabe dashi" soup.
    • Ten-ichi: Grab a seat at the counter and watch the chef prepare your meal. Dinner and a show all in one.
    • Inakaya is such a fun place for a dinner. Sit around the U-shaped counter and watch as a team of chefs put together your meal robatayaki style.
    • At Hayashi, you order a Japanese set meal and grill it over one of five hibachi grills. If you are concerned you won't do it right, no worries, there is always someone ready to help.
    • Kuroba-tei is a seafood lover's paradise. Try the 20 lb. oven-roasted tuna head cooked and served whole.
    • Arashio Sumo Table: I loved the chankonabe, a traditional stew made with fried fried tofu, mushrooms, cabbage, and spring onions. It is rich in fiber and protein and a favorite dish of sumo wrestlers.

• Trevor M.

Trevor M.

This is an incredible list! Thanks Andrew for posting. I've always been a little apprehensive to plan a trip to Tokyo because I was never sure where to eat (and food is one of the main reasons I want to go to Tokyo), but now I feel 100% ready to visit and eat my way though that city. · (3 likelikes)

• Sunil G.

Sunil G.

Holy cow, it sounds like I'll need to fast for a month before embarking on my honeymoon! These sound amazing. Thanks so much Andrew! · (0 likelikes)

1. Sushi Mizutani (restaurant)
    2. Nobu Tokyo (neighborhood)
    3. Sushi Dai (restaurant)
    4. Tsukiji Fish Market (neighborhood)
    5. Namiki Yabusoba (restaurant)
    6. Ivan Ramen (restaurant)
    7. Nagatacho Kurosawa Restaurant (restaurant)
    8. Nagi (restaurant)
    9. Robata of Tokyo (restaurant)
    10. Isehiro (restaurant)
    11. Raku-tei (restaurant)
    12. Ganchan (restaurant)
    13. Bird Land (restaurant)
    14. Onyasai (attraction)
    15. Ten-ichi (restaurant)
    16. Inakaya (restaurant)
    17. Hayashi (attraction)
    18. Kuroba-tei (restaurant)
    19. Arashio Sumo Table (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Andrew a Thank You Note