• Emma Turner
  • "Information about JR East Railway Pass"

Emma Turner

Jersey, United Kingdom

Information about JR East Railway Pass

Hi Guys

My daughter and I will be travelling to Tokyo, arriving in late August for five days.

I'm finding the information about the JR East Pass a little confusing regarding the lines you can use the pass on. There is a pdf here​ but there is caveat stating "some railways lines other than JR East are also displayed". There is another guide here​ which seems to have all the lines on, but again not sure.

As we are only in Tokyo briefly is the pass good value for money (22,000 yen) particularly as travel from Harita Airport is now 1,500 yen.

I can't seem to find out how much individual journeys cost in order to compare the two.

We will departing from Haneda Airport and planning to go to Disney for one day.

We are staying at the Citadines Shinjuku Tokyo

Thanks in advance.

Emma

• Michael Kwok

Welcome to the sensory overload that is Japan's rail system!

If I interpreted your question correctly, your daughter and you will be spending 5 days in Tokyo, of which one of those days you will be going to Disneyland. You want to know if a 22,000 yen pass is good value?

Their are in fact several rail systems that run through Tokyo, and if you're going to be spending most of your time in the Tokyo metropolitan area, then you will be using the Tokyo Metro often, and the JR line a lot less. The JR line is more useful for traveling longer distances (e.g. if you want to visit Kawasaki or Yokohama, etc...).

To get to Disneyland from Shinjuku Station you will need to take the JR Chuo Line, to Tokyo Station, and then switch trains to the JR Keiyo Line to Maihama (total should be less than 600 yen). Each connection is about 15 minutes, with a bit of a hike between platforms (Tokyo Station is HUGE and I've gotten lost in there before). There is also a direct bus that will take you from Shinjuku to Disney (around 800 yen for adult and 400 yen for children).

Happy Travels!

• Emma T.

Emma T.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question - the bus sounds a much better idea to Disney. · (0 likelikes)

1. Shinjuku Station (attraction)
    2. Tokyo Station (attraction)
    3. Maihama (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Michael a Thank You Note