• Supun Edirisinghe
  • "Time saving tips for crossing the border"

Supun Edirisinghe

Carson (California), California

Time saving tips for crossing the border

My friends and I go volunteer at an orphanage in a little town called El Porvenir on La Ruta de Vino (Baja's version of Napa Valley). We take the Hwy 1 toll road to Hwy 3 to get there. We've been visiting the same orphanage for almost 4 years now. We typically visit 4-10 times an year.  It's always really fun. But, the only downside is on the way back, if we can't get back to the San Ysidro border control before 3:30 or 4pm, we get stuck for a long time.

Back in the summer time, we had to wait for 4 hours! Last week the wait was 2 and a half hours at the border. Adding 2-4 hours to an already 3.5 hour drive back to LA is a bummer. So, I was wondering if you have any tips on how to get back quickly. 

For example, when is it best to go the extra distance and cross at Tecate? Should I just bite the bullet and get a Sentri pass? Is it worth it? Have you tried any of the businesses that offer the Fast Pass? Or should we just bring a lot of baladas to drown our sorrows and enjoy the readily available churros from the street vendors? 

• Katherine Belarmino

I recently applied for a Passport Card which has an RFID chip. It's cheaper than a Sentri pass and allows you to enter a faster line to cross the border, both by car and by foot. http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

• ·
    • ·

Send Katherine a Thank You Note