• Shayne Kline
  • "Where to vacation in Thailand?"

Shayne Kline

Templeton, California

Where to vacation in Thailand?

I've totally got Thailand on my radar for a family trip to just hang out on the beach, maybe do a little body surfing and eat a lot of good food.  I only know of Phuket but I have been told there are much better places to go.  I have also been told that it is a long way to go but once you get there the prices are very reasonable.  What resorts or islands should I check out and what can I expect to spend?  And how's the wine selection?

• Debbie Lee

Sounds about right -- Thailand is a long way to go but things can be very cheap when you get there. For example -- last summer, I booked round trip tickets from SFO for $1700, but when I was in Thailand for two weeks, I spent less than $700, and that's including airfare between islands, car rental, other transportation, drinks at a couple high end bars, a meal at literally one of the best restaurants in the world, a few nights at a "resort", shopping, and everything else that I would consume on a vacation. Granted, I did get to stay with friends for a bulk of the trip, though!

If you've never been to Phuket , you should pay it a visit. It's beautiful. My parents actually took me there for a family vacation when I was a kid. Phuketimage from asia.vacationxtravel.comAnother island that I would suggest is Ko Samui . I almost stayed in Koh Samui last year, but my friend ended up booking a place on the next island over, Ko Phangan . I did look up Koh Samui spots just in case, though, and there was a really wide range of resorts that you could stay at. Some were as low as $30 a night, while others, big names like Four Seasons, were around $1000'ish. I saw some really nice looking ones on the beach for $100'ish and I would personally go with those. I do not recommend the $30 a night places.Koh Phangan

So here's what I actually did the last time I was in Thailand: I flew to Bangkok and road tripped down both coasts, both of which had a lot of beautiful beaches, then I made my way down to Koh Samui and Koh Phangan by flying into Surat Thani and ferrying over. If you drive down the east coast in Bangkok, you hit Pattaya.Pattaya

And if you drive down the west, you hit Cha-Am . Both very well-known and beautiful beach towns. Maybe you can look into something like this, too.Cha-Am

As for wine, I didn't see many people drinking wine. One peculiar thing that I noticed, though, was that beer was served either on the rocks, or if it was in a bottle, it would come in a bucket of ice with a straw in the bottle, and you're suppose to sip the beer from the straw in the bottle that's in the bucket of ice :P

Hope you decide to go to Thailand! Seriously one of my favorite countries :)

• Shayne K.

Shayne K.

Any noteworthy challenges to driving in Thailand? · (3 likelikes)

Oh... I would say -- don't do it :P Take a bus or train, or better yet, hire a driver! You could even fly to some of these places. I was lucky enough to have my native Thai friend drive me around for those road trips, because the roads are crazy, signs don't always have English translations, and the toll plaza signs definitely did not have any English on it. Since it's your whole family, you could hire a driver in either a car or a van. My aunt did that a few years ago in Thailand and said that it was like booking a private tour. · (1 likelikes)

• erik j.

erik j.

Koh Phangan would also be my vote. It is the island where they filmed the movie "the beach". There are amazing beaches that stop at the base of fairly steep hill sides. This is the one part of our vacation where we went "all out" for our lodgings and stayed at Santhiya Resort. You get your own private villa on the side of a mountain that has it's own small pool and jacuzzi. We really want to go back with friends and family. Everything at the resort is expensive for Thai standards, but you can walk from the private beach to the public one and be into town for some cheaper, more authentic and better food options in a few minutes. · (1 likelikes)

1. Phuket (city)
    2. Koh Samui (island)
    3. Koh Phangan (island)
    5. Pattaya (city)
    6. Cha-Am (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Debbie a Thank You Note