Lauren Cochran

St. Louis

Where to travel in November?

My husband and i are planning a trip - we want to go somewhere we've never been, somewhere foreign with great culture and lots to do in November this year. Our friends have already booked a trip to Thailand and are trying to get us go along. We're considering: Thailand, South Africa, Argentina, or Europe: Prague/Amsterdam, perhaps another city.

We'll take 2 weeks off, and travel circa Thanksgiving. Budget isn't too much of an issue,  want to get the best experience in the amount of time. Any suggestions?? We're torn! 

• Stefan Gilmore

All great choices! It depends on what you'd like to do at the destination itself.

Thailand definitely has loads of options, with their beach scenes being one of the top ones (in my opinion.) Thailand is also very affordable and a great deal for travelers. Added bonus? Take a short trip up to Siem Reap or somewhere else in the region. Long flights with a connection in Europe or Asia. Two weeks is plenty of time.

South Africa; Cape Town is beautiful! You can go wine tasting in Stellenbosch or Cage Diving with Great White Sharks in Gansbaai. All incredible experiences. Looking for a Safari? Check out Kruger Park. Plenty other options in the country as well. It's also fairly affordable. Most flights connect through Europe, with the exception of South African from JFK/IAD or Atlanta on Delta. Two weeks is plenty of time here too; when I did it, I also went up to Devils Pool in Zimbabwe. (You can read about it on my blog...link is in my profile)

Argentina; First things first, you have a $160 reciprocal entry fee if you're a US Citizen. Once you get past that, the country, like the other two, are affordable. It's a big place though! Buenos Aires has architecture, history, food, etc... but you can go all the way down to Patagonia for some beautiful hikes at the bottom of the world (as they say)! There are direct flights here from the US.

Europe destinations? Plenty to do there. You could follow the Danube Delta; Budapest, Prague, Vienna, etc... Lots of info on the net for those places.

Whatever you pick, it'll be fun, I'm sure!

1. Thailand (country)
    2. Siem Reap (city)
    3. South Africa (country)
    4. Cape Town (city)
    5. Stellenbosch (city)
    6. Gansbaai (city)
    7. Kruger Park (city)
    8. Zimbabwe (country)
    9. Argentina (country)
    10. Buenos Aires (city)
    11. Danube Delta (attraction)
    12. Budapest (city)
    13. Prague (city)
    14. Vienna (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Stefan a Thank You Note