• Cristea George Cristian
  • "What are the things I should keep an eye on, when living in Thailand?"

Cristea George Cristian

Bucharest, Romania

What are the things I should keep an eye on, when living in Thailand?

I'm planning to move to Thailand in a couple o months with my girlfriend and I want to know what kind of things I should keep an eye on. Things like scams, quality food (but not to expensive - also groceries), pickpockets, street fights, bullies, dangerous zones, cheap rent, most important - INTERNET CONNECTION (for work), food/weather poisoning, vaccines, good hospitals, etc.

My budget: 300-400$/month (too little?).

Length Duration: 1 year.

My style: quiet places, any sports, chilling with friends good food and wine.

• Brad Florescu

Hi there, my Romanian friend.

Let me take things one by one:

1. 3-400 USD is way to little money for a couple. A decent apartment or house would be minimum 200 USD on the mainland and 300-400 USD on an island. So there goes a big chunk of your budget.

2. The internet connection can be fair in metropolitan areas, but it's no match for the speed you get in Romania.

3. There aren't many dangers to worry about. Most scams and bullies occur in areas with heavy tourism (Phuket, Pattaya , Koh Phi Phi).

4. The choice of food is very diverse. Eating out is generally safe, as Thai people pay a lot of importance to cleanliness and health. However, expect to pay a lot for European "delicacies" such as cheese or wine.

5. The health system is solid and widespread. The hospitals are well equipped, even in little towns. No vaccination is needed. Dengue fever is widespread, especially in the rainy season, but it might take forever until you get it.

6. The weather patters is quite simple: rainy season June to September, cool season November to February, hot and dry season March to April.

Should you have any more questions please drop me a line. I live in Southern Thailand.

1. Phuket (city)
    2. Pattaya (city)
    3. Koh Phi Phi (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Brad a Thank You Note