• Lauren Cochran
  • "Must See/Must Do's in Thailand? "

Lauren Cochran

St. Louis

Must See/Must Do's in Thailand?

Considering a Trip to Thailand - looking at spending time in Bangkok, Chang Mai, and Phuket area - what are definite can't-miss? 

• Wat Arun (unknown)

Bangkok 10600

• Chiang Mai (city)

Chiang Mai

• Wat Pho (attraction)

248 Thanon Thai Wang Bangkok 10170 02 281 2831

• Michelle Halpern

Hi Lauren! I just got back from a trip to all three of those cities. I definitely recommend hitting up all three if you have time.

Bangkok: We flew into Bangkok and spent about 24 hours exploring the city, although I would recommend allocating 2-4 days if you have the time. Highlights: get a cheap river boat pass which will allow you to see all of the temples and the Grand Palace in one day. DEFINITELY go to Wat Arun- and make sure you are appropriately dressed with coverage for your legs/shoulders. Other suggestions: explore Chinatown & taste test some street food. Get dinner/drinks at the top of Le Bua tower for an amazing view overlooking the city. We didn't have time, but were told that the flower markets are amazing and the mall there is apparently the most Instagrammed spot in the world!

Phuket: We spent most of our time in Phuket area on the water, but I would definitely recommend chartering a boat for a day or taking a day cruise to one of the islands near Koh Khai Nok - they are complete paradise and feel super remote. On Koh Khai Nai you can scuba dive, jet ski, relax, and swim with the fish in crystal blue water, etc. The Phi Phi Islands are also a must -- Koh Phi Phi has a bunch of cute shops and a great party scene at night. Go on the hike to the lookout spot where you can get a whole view of the city. If you ask around, people will know what I'm talking about :) If you want an amazing dinner, check out Papaya (there are 2 locations--go to the original location). Best meal I had our whole trip! Also do a 1/2 day boat tour to Maya Beach (where the movie The Beach was filmed). Some of them will also take you to "monkey island" nearby where you can feed the monkeys -- very cool.

Chiang Mai: My FAVORITE place in Thailand. In just three days we: visited Doi Suthep temple (a must), Palad Temple (gorgeous and not touristy), an orchid/butterfly farm, the Tiger Kingdom, went bamboo rafting, did a waterfall/hiking trek, saw a lady boy show aka the Chiang Mai Cabaret Show, went to the Sunday night markets (the best one all week so try to go during the weekend), got thai massages ($4 US for 1 hour), visited a silk factory, shopped at the Gem Gallery (the largest jewelry store in the world), took a cooking class with BaanThai Cookery School (so fun!), AND rode elephants. We had 3 days, but I would have spent 5 at least if possible. If you do one thing only, definitely see the elephants. It was an experience I will remember for the rest of my life. There are MANY places you can do this, but many are very touristy and/or super expensive. Our tour guide brought us to a small family owned place called "Elephant Home" in Keang Kued Village that cost us about $40 US and we had an intimate experience that was not crowded or touristy at all. Highly recommend. Let me know if you want the contact info for our tour guide/driver -- he took us everywhere and was so sweet, accommodating and helpful (and only cost us about $20 per person/per day). SO worth it. Let me know if any of the above sounds interesting and if you want more details! It's my favorite place in the world so far :)

So glad to hear that you had an amazing time, Michelle! Thank you for sharing :) · (0 likelikes)

• Kae H.

Kae H.

Going in February. Your info so helpful. Please share the contact for tour guide. · (0 likelikes)

• Marina K.

Marina K.

Considering going around Thanksgiving as well. I would love to get the tour guide contact. Thanks for sharing! · (0 likelikes)

• Vanda W.

Vanda W.

Please don't ride elephants - they are horribly abused - chained and beaten to get them to comply. · (0 likelikes)

• Jeff S.

Jeff S.

Great Suggestions! Could you share the guide contact info? · (0 likelikes)

• Anita K.

Anita K.

Loved your answers Michelle! Could I please get the contact info as well? · (0 likelikes)

1. Grand Palace (restaurant)
    2. Wat Arun (unknown)
    3. Koh Khai Nok (attraction)
    4. Koh Khai Nai (attraction)
    5. Phi Phi Islands (attraction)
    6. Doi Suthep (attraction)
    7. BaanThai Cookery School (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Michelle a Thank You Note