Ross Sparks

Fort Collins, Colorado

Is Thailand to touristy!

Hello friends! I am planing a trip to south east Asia in late October (October 27- november 17) for three weeks! I wanted to do Vietnam Cambodia and Thailand but I don't think three weeks will be enough time. I always try to do to much almost every trip!? Lol! So I was told to just do thailand, should hit most of the the things I want to do, culture first in the north, then bum around the islands, no Phuket for me thanks. 

My prob is that I keep reading about how over run with kids it is (im 33). And that it's played out and not authentic any more? Should I just  stick to Vietnam? On the other hand the same is said about costa rica, and I have been to every country in Central America, but I still love C.R. I just don't go to jaco, love the osa! So would the easiness of it be a good thing for my first trip? Aaahhhhhhhh?

about me, I will be with the wife, we are budgeting $50-$100 a day for everything. We rarely make hotel reservations, usually just the first couple nights and last night (Bangkok). Not afraid to sleep in our jungle hammocks in a pinch. Don't like a lot of tourism, a little is ok and unavoidable at the main sights. Love temples and pyramids. My style of travel is high end budget, if I don't bring my machete it's not vacation lol?

any help would be awesome, thanks so much I know that's a lot but $3000 in plane tickets is huge! 

Ross

• Victoria Ancheva

Ross, Thailand is definitely worth visiting. I have spend several winters there just my husband and I and loved it.

Believe it or not, Phuket could be very nice if you plan it carefully. All you need to do is rent a house/condo and bike. Food is great and you can go to different beached every day. I like to stay around Bang Tao Beach area because of amazing breakfast place called BAKE in Cherngtalay (58 Lagoon Rd., Cherngtalay, Thalang, Phuket) website

I like North-East area of Phuket, it is very quiet there.

From there you could hop to different islands, there are plenty of beautiful little and big islands, worth spending several days such as Koh Lipe , Ko Lanta, Ko Samet , bungalows in national park and not crowded Koh Tarutao , koh chang - mountainous island known for several waterfalls, thriving coral reefs and rain forests, Koh Phangan .

If you are not into island life, North Thailand along is worth 3 weeks. It is amazing and much cheaper.

Start with Chiang Mai , then visit Mae Hong Son to see temples and local life and stay a couple of nights by the lake in Phayao . Sukhothai is the most striking of Thailand's spectacular ruins. Pick Chiang Rai as a good base for visiting nearby regional attractions.

1. Bang Tao Beach (attraction)
    2. BAKE (restaurant)
    3. Cherngtalay (restaurant)
    4. Koh Lipe (city)
    5. Ko Lanta (city)
    6. Ko Samet (city)
    7. Ko Tarutao (island)
    8. Koh Chang (island)
    9. Koh Phangan (island)
    10. Chiang Mai (city)
    11. Mae Hong Son (attraction)
    12. Phayao (city)
    13. Sukhothai (city)
    14. Chiang Rai (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Victoria a Thank You Note