• Tanya Kooij
  • "Eating locations and general tips for Bangkok/ Thailand & Cambodia"

Eating locations and general tips for Bangkok/ Thailand & Cambodia

Hi!

My boyfriend and I are going for a 3 week holiday to Thailand and Cambodia. We like to travel with a backpack because it gives us a sense of freedom, but we do have some traveling money so we don't stay at hostels etc. Does anyone has some general tips: where to stay, what definitely to see and where to eat. The plan is to arrive at Bangkok and then after a few days go to Cambodia see all the highlights and end the trip at some bounty island back in Thailand.

Thank a lot!

Tanya

• Victoria Ancheva

Oh how amazing! I have spent my winters in Thailand Phuket for several years and I miss it a lot.

It is pretty great that you have some funds to spend on accommodation, because Thailand has some pretty awesome options. Be sure to check Cape Sienna Phuket Hotel & Villas (18/40 Moo 6, Nakalay Road | Tambon Kamala, A. Kathu, Kamala, Phuket) in kamala if you are going to visit Phuket. Just let me know if you are, I'll share more tips on Phuket gems.

But in general here are some things to consider in Thailand:

1) If you have a privilege of more than a week to stay in one place - rent a house/villa/apartment/condo. It will be way cheaper than a hotel and you will feel as local as it gets.

2) Rend a scooter/bike. The traffic is not that scary on islands and smaller towns if you or your BF know how to drive it. This will be major advantage - you will feel the freedom of going anywhere, to any beach, any restaurant, any shop.

3) Bangkok is worth several days - awesome hotels (I highly recommend ( Pullman Bangkok King Power (8/2 Soi Rangnam, Phayathai Road | Ratchathewi, Bangkok) - best service, rooms, pool, breakfast, and young crowd I ever had in Bangkok). Just enjoy shopping, eating and if you are into clubs - there are some pretty good ones out there. Just avoid touristy places. Bangkok is so modern and alive, you will love it.

4) Temples. Definitely visit alabaster Wat Rong Khun if you go North to Chiang Rai , than belongs to an artist Chalermchai Kositpipat who will finish the temple on his own funds, breathtaking, and - it is among 5 most beautiful in the world. Ayutthaya is worth visiting, too.

5) Wild nature at its best is Doi Inthanon National Park .

6) If you are in Bangkok for the first time, I highly recommend to get a private guide. Me and my DH had a blast with a tourwithtong.com - she came to our hotel on a comfy car and we were just three of us all day long, she showed us whatever we wanted (loved the market and all the temples The Temple of The Emerald Buddha, Bangkok, Thailand ), just don't go to any jewelry/silk shops tour guides tend to take their clients to - too touristy and a waste of time in my opinion.

7) Restaurants are great, but street food there is one of the best and I never had any problem with stomach). Loved to get a soup and customize it to my taste talking to the vendor and locals. It is amazing how much you might find out about the area if you just talk to a local. Go for Asian cuisine, European is meh.

8) As for beaches, I also love Ko Samui (west side has way less crowds) and Hat Mai Khao , หาดทรายแก้ว Sai Kaew Beach , Layan Beach in Phuket. For diving, go to Similan islands and Surin Islands

• Tanya K.

Tanya K.

Wow, I already checked the hotel in BKK and it looks so nice! We might def. book that one! And thanks for all the overall info, very helpfull! If I have any more questions is it OK to contact you once more? · (2 likelikes)

• Victoria A.

Victoria A.

Sure, just let me know your Q's and I'll try to help). Enjoy and shere your impressions after you come back! · (2 likelikes)

1. Phuket (city)
    2. Cape Sienna Phuket Hotel & Villas (hotel)
    3. Kamala (attraction)
    5. Pullman Bangkok King Power (hotel)
    6. Wat Rong Khun (attraction)
    7. Chiang Rai (city)
    8. Ayutthaya (state)
    9. Doi Inthanon National Park (attraction)
    10. The Temple of The Emerald Buddha (attraction)
    11. Koh Samui (island)
    12. Hat Mai Khao (attraction)
    13. Sai Kaew Beach (attraction)
    14. Layan Beach (attraction)
    15. Similan islands (attraction)
    16. Surin Islands (island)

• ·
    • ·

Send Victoria a Thank You Note