• Serena Shi
  • "Better to travel SE Asia with a tour group or plan on your own? "

Serena Shi

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Better to travel SE Asia with a tour group or plan on your own?

Is it usually better to travel around SE Asia on a pre-planned trip with the itinerary already planned out? Or is it better to do everything on your own rather than through a formal travel agency? Safety is also a consideration with booking it through a company, but I have heard that the flexibility of planning it on your own is nice. I also don't want us to miss out on any potentially great experiences that you might only be able to get through a formal tour group! 

It will be a group of 4 females, including myself, as a post-grad trip this coming June. We plan to be travelling for a month, and ideally want to travel on a budget. 

• Rob Wise

It really depends what your main priorities are, seeing lots of places or having more of an experience but not seeing as much.

You will see more on a organised tour because you will be on a set itinerary and see lots of sites and cities.

I think you will have more experiences if you organize it yourself because you will choose the people you travel with and how long you stay in each place but you do risk staying in one location for too long because you enjoy it and not seeing a lot of sites.

There are lots of young backpackers traveling throughout SE Asia so you will make friends at any hostel/guesthouse to travel with who will also help you with plans anyway.

I usually look at organised tours for an idea of timeframe and sites to see, then I copy the tour but do it myself so it's flexible if I meet people I can change plans or adjust how long I spend in each location.

Either way I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

Feel free to contact me on here, twitter, facebook, google+ or my new website under the name of "TheWiseNomad" if you have any other questions.

• ·
    • ·

Send Rob a Thank You Note