Shane Glynn

Ireland

30 Day Itinerary

Planning a 30 day trip to Thailand and looking for help with an Itinerary or of how to split time between North, South and BKK.

Want to go as far as Chiang Mai, is it worth going any further north? 

Down South want to go diving, island hoping and hopefully make a full moon party.

• CJ Yu

Wow, 30 days, I'm jealous!!!

I've had the chance to visit Thailand a number of times, but usually on two-week trips at the most (we Americans get shorter holidays unfortunately). Definitely MAXIMIZE your time in the south as much as possible. Chiang Mai is definitely worth a visit to do the elephant camps, however I would not spend more than a couple days there as everything else in the town (the night market, etc) weren't anything special in the context of what the rest of Thailand has to offer.

I had a couple friends that went to Pai and thought it was worth a trek, so you may want to look into that area as well.

As other posters have mentioned, the Full Moon Party is a must do in the islands--but rather than booking on Ko Phangan for a place to stay, look into staying on Ko Samui and then taking the speed boat over the night of, which only runs about $60 or so RT. (prices vary depending on how early you book that week). There's travel agency shacks EVERYWHERE so no need to book in advance for boat transport, you can barter and look for the best prices around town.

My favorite place in Thailand was Phi Phi Island (where they filmed The Beach), and I would personally recommend staying there for at least 4-5 days if you're looking for an island to relax a little bit, and unwind. It has a good balance of beaches, nightlife and beautiful views/snorkeling.

With 30 days budgeted, you may want to consider hopping over to Angkor Wat for 3-4 days in Cambodia , as it's a cheap flight and WELL worth the excursion. Most flights depart from Bangkok so plan accordinly with your itinerary.

Also, sidenote, if you're looking to buy a lot of trinkets, custom-tailored suits etc, you may want to plan to do Bangkok last so you don't have to lug everything around the wholetime. Everything there is SUPER cheap so you may end up with the need for an extra suitcase on the way home!

1. Chiang Mai (city)
    2. Pai (city)
    3. Full Moon Party (attraction)
    4. Koh Phangan (island)
    5. Koh Samui (island)
    6. Koh Phi Phi (city)
    7. Angkor Wat (attraction)
    8. Cambodia (country)

• ·
    • ·

Send CJ a Thank You Note