• Katie MCarthy
  • "Weekend ideas for a first timer in Tampa"

Katie MCarthy

Columbus, Ohio

Weekend ideas for a first timer in Tampa

I’ll be in Tampa for a long weekend in the early summer and since I’ll be on my own, I’d like to go with a bit of an itinerary or at least a list of places to hit. I like yoga, outdoor activities (maybe a beach or two), and cafes with good coffee and preferably wifi. I also wouldn’t mind a bit of pampering if you happen to know a good place to have a massage or facial. I’ll have a car so I don’t need to worry about public transportation!

• Clearwater Beach (city)

37 Causeway Blvd Clearwater FL 33767 (727) 562-4600

• Ybor City (neighborhood)

Anywhere! Tampa FL 33605

• Postcard Inn (hotel)

6300 Gulf Blvd St. Pete Beach FL 33706

• Debbie Lee

Hey Khanh, I used to spend quite a bit of time in Tampa, so I can give you a few suggestions to experience some Tampa flavor!

For yoga, my two favorites are Yoga Downtown Tampa, which, as you can imagine, is downtown :P I went there when it first opened and they have grown considerably since. The owner and also one of the teachers there, Francine, is fabulous! So take a class with her if you can. They have ashtanga classes, plus acrobatic yoga classes, and even yoga in the park on the weekends!Yoga Downtown Tampa

Another yoga studio that I really like is Yoga Loft Tampa. This is another place that I went to shortly after they opened and the owner/one of the teachers Ashley is also awesome!

For outdoor activities, if you're into running, take a jog around Channelside near the Channelside Bay Plaza. Best at sunrise or at dusk, otherwise it's really hot in the day time. Gorgeous views of the channel and basin!

If you want to go kayaking, drive over to St. Petersburg. I rented a kayak from Sweetwater Kayaks. You can go on a one hour kayak trip and they'll give you a map for a self-guided tour.Sweetwater KayaksFor beaches, you're going to have to get out of Tampa. Tampa doesn't have any beaches since it's inland. One of my favorites is Clearwater Beach. Beautiful white sand!Clearwater BeachAnother one of my favorites and a little less popular is Indian Rocks Beach. Indian Rocks is more of a retirement town, so this beach is quieter and I consider it a hidden gem! One of my favorite coffee shops is there -- Indian Shores Coffee Co. The owner, Greg, is awesome, and it's super adorable that his kids occasionally work there and play music there on the weekends.Indian Rocks Beachimage from city-data.comAnother one of my favorites is Caddy's On The Beach! It's in Treasure Island near St. Pete's. It's a restaurant that I guess has their own private beach, which is pretty sizable, and you can order food there and eat it at the tables in the restaurant, or bring it out to the beach and nibble on snacks and sip on cocktails on lounge chairs and umbrellas that they set up for you. It's pretty suh-weet!Caddy's On The BeachFor cafes with good coffee and wifi, I really like Tre Amici @ The Bunker in Ybor City. Great healthy'ish snacks, good coffee, awesome baristas and working wifi! Plus, they have live music and wine happy hours on certain nights.Ybor CityI don't know if you like tea at all, but I also really like Kaleisia Tea Lounge. I think they do have one kind of coffee -- Vietnamese. They're really good! It's near the University, so you'll see a lot of college students here.Kaleisia Tea Lounge

If you're looking for a late night place, I hear that Community Cafe in St. Pete's is pretty good. Back in the day, I used to go to a place called Globe Coffee Lounge, which has since closed, but to fill the void for wifi and coffee past midnight, Community Cafe opened.

For a spa, check out Spa Sundara. They offer great massages and facials. You'll leave blissed out.Spa SundaraHave fun, girl!

• Katie M.

Katie M.

Thank you Debbie! I sure hope I can fit all of these into one weekend because they sound fun! · (1 likelikes)

My pleasure! I think you could do all of these in a regular weekend if you hustle, and you can definitely fit it all in during a long weekend ;) Let us know what you hit up! · (1 likelikes)

• Katie M.

Katie M.

I will! · (0 likelikes)

1. Yoga Downtown Tampa (attraction)
    2. Yoga Loft Tampa (attraction)
    3. Channelside Bay Plaza (attraction)
    4. St. Petersburg, FL (attraction)
    5. Sweetwater Kayaks (attraction)
    6. Clearwater Beach (city)
    7. Indian Rocks Beach (city)
    8. Indian Shores Coffee Co. (restaurant)
    9. Caddy's On The Beach (attraction)
    10. Tre Amici @ The Bunker (restaurant)
    11. Ybor City (neighborhood)
    12. Kaleisia Tea Lounge (attraction)
    13. Community Cafe (restaurant)
    14. Spa Sundara (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Debbie a Thank You Note