• Bryson Moore
  • "Scandinavia this summer: what to do and how to see the aurora borealis?"

Bryson Moore

Chattanooga, Tennessee

Scandinavia this summer: what to do and how to see the aurora borealis?

I'll be flying into Copenhagen most likely and am open to exploring the Scandinavian region (Sweden, Norway, Denmark) and beyond. Iceland has been on my list for a while so if possible I would like to go there as well. I'll be abroad for somewhere between 10-14 days with a wedding squeezed in the last weekend which leaves me 7-10 days of exploring. So I'm looking for the most efficient and cost effective ways to get around and where to go, but I'm not afraid to drop a little extra money for an experience it the Trippy community says it's worthwhile.

I'm really looking for some adventures in the outdoors & to visit small towns with a lot of culture. I know that all of these places have a lot to offer, but I'm in need of a little direction.

Especially interested backcountry camping/treking/hiking and catching a glimpse of the aurora borealis.

• Tromso (city)

Tromso

• Norway (country)

• Bodo (city)

Bodo

• Hjörtur Smárason

Hi Bryson

Scandinavia is both very big and quite expensive, so it is limited how much of it you can experience in that short of mount of time, especially if you want to do some trekking. But I do have some recommendations.

If you are flying from the States to Copenhagen, I recommend flying with Icelandair. If you do that, you can do a stopover for a few days in Iceland at no extra cost. And Iceland is an absolutely fantastic country for backcountry camping and hiking.

I recommend renting a car and exploring on your own. You can do South-Iceland which has some of the most popular tourist routes and great spots for hiking. This includes places like Fimmvörðuháls, a two day hiking route which takes you between two infamous volcanoes, Eyjafjallajökull and Katla volcano. In the middle of the track is a new volcano which was created in the "warm-up" eruption to the bigger Eyjafjallajökull eruption. The route starts by the very picturesque Skógarfoss waterfall and ends in a beautiful volcanic valley called Þórsmörk. Further east you can camp in Skaftafell National Park, which also has beautiful hiking tracks which you can easily do as short day trips. One of them takes you to a stunning waterfall called Svartifoss Trail. Another nice day trip from there is to Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon where you can see the icebergs from Vatnajokull, Europe's largest glacier floating towards the see. This area is also where the scenes in Game of Thrones that happen north of the Wall are shot. The only problem with these locations is that they are very popular, so you will not be alone there.

Jökulsárlón

If you do want to get more off the beaten track, you can go to the also stunning northern part of Iceland, around Akureyri. There you have fantastic waterfalls like Godafoss Waterfall and Europe's most powerful waterfall Dettifoss, a very dramatic waterfall that played a role in the Ridley Scott film Prometheus, the "prequel" to Aliens. Two other places I highly recommend there are Námaskarð which is like another planet with tiny little steaming volcanoes, and Jarðböðin við Mývatn, a geothermal lagoon similar to the famous Blue Lagoon. Just less tourists ;)

Finally, if you really want to go where you meet pretty much no tourists, I recommend the Westfjords of Iceland. Recently labeled as the most beautiful place in the world by a group of artist and internet voters with it's deep fjords, valleys and steep mountains. You will not have the same unique volcanic landscape there as in the previous mentions areas, but they are truly beautiful and this is really "backcountry". Small fishing villages resting by the sea, original people, weather beaten farmers in narrow green valleys. And the hiking routes are simply fantastic. You can set up a base and go for hikes on your own, like in the southern part of the peninsula where you can explore the sea monsters and Viking graves in Arnarfjörður, and Europe's largest birdcliff Látrabjarg which rises up to 411 meters (1349 feet) straight up from the fierce
    Atlantic Ocean; or you can take a few day trek in the deserted northern part of the peninsula, the Hornstrandir Nature Reserve. You are really on your own there with no cars or infrastructure except a ghost town at Hesteyri and a few deserted farms. You can arrange for a boat from Isafjordur to get there.

So there is a lot of options, but my recommendations is to go for Iceland, take a day trip from Copenhagen to Malmö, and you should be pretty good :)

Have a great trip!
    Hjörtur

ps. As someone had pointed out earlier, you will not see any northern lights in the summer time. You will however experience the midnight sun in Iceland where it never get darks. You've just got this very long beautiful sunset that then turns into a sunrise, like the one in this picture I took in Reykjafjörður :)

Westfjords

• Bryson M.

Bryson M.

This is incredible! Thank you so much for all of this info. I think you've sold me on Iceland. Just the extra nudge I needed :) · (0 likelikes)

• Bryson M.

Bryson M.

Just booked my flight and now the planning begins. I'll arrive in Iceland on Sunday, July 19th at 6 am and staying until Wednesday, July 22nd (but that flight is out at 1:15 am). With only 3 days in Iceland...what would you recommend? And is renting a car the most efficient option here? Thanks again for the suggestions. The Icelandic Air flights are an awesome deal! · (0 likelikes)

1. Iceland (country)
    2. Fimmvörðuháls (attraction)
    3. Eyjafjallajökull (attraction)
    4. Skógarfoss (unknown)
    5. Þórsmörk (attraction)
    6. Skaftafell National Park (attraction)
    7. Svartifoss Trail (unknown)
    8. Jökulsárlón (attraction)
    9. Vatnajokull (attraction)
    10. Akureyri (attraction)
    11. Godafoss Waterfall (attraction)
    12. Dettifoss (attraction)
    13. Námaskarð (attraction)
    14. Jarðböðin við Mývatn (attraction)
    15. Westfjords (state)
    16. Arnarfjörður (unknown)
    17. Látrabjarg (attraction)
    18. Hornstrandir Nature Reserve (attraction)
    19. Hesteyri (city)
    20. Isafjordur (city)
    21. Reykjafjörður (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Hjörtur a Thank You Note