• Jack Tang
  • "Suggestions for 10 to 12 days backpacking trip through Sri Lanka"

Jack Tang

Atlanta, Georgia

Suggestions for 10 to 12 days backpacking trip through Sri Lanka

Trying to plan a trip with my gf to Sri Lanka in June or July. We are open to anything exciting, unique, or interesting. Being two workaholics working around the clock, we are looking get away from our normal lives and experience something different. We are backpackers who want to embrace the local culture while exploring what the land has to offer. Please share with us suggestions for places to stay/visit and things to avoid. 

• Kandy (city)

Kandy

• Nuwara Eliya (city)

Nuwara Eliya

• Colombo (city)

Colombo Western Province

• Hina Pasha

Hi Jack,

Sri Lanka is a glorious place to visit. It's not a shiny, cosmopolitan place though! Its much more earthy, where we often felt dwarfed by the gigantic foliage.

I would suggest including places like and Dambulla if you want to explore historical sites. These are both considerably north-east (I think!) of Colombo, so the drive is long, but beautiful. You could visit the elephant orphanage on the way there, even if just to see the elephants bathing in the river - a treat!

Colombo itself is not my favourite city in SriLanka. It's fine for a day or two. There are some sights, and spare but lovely shopping options - check out Barefoot Gallery Colombo, Paradise Road cafe, ODEL.

There are numerous beaches in Sri Lanka, the closer ones to Colombo - Bentota, Beruwala , Wadduwa are decent, though the sea is perpetually rough. Not great for swimming. However, the hotel options make up for that. There are lovely resorts, which give you a complete experience of being by the water, without having to actually swim in it. Their pools often face the sea, so you have the illusion of being part of the beach:)

If you are looking to unwind, the seaside is a great place to be. The northern, cooler areas such as Nuwara Eliya, Central Highlands, Ambewela and areas surrounding Kandy (Kandy itself is not as great) are also worth visiting for the idyllic hilly landscape.

Down south you can visit Galle, which is also a coastal city, with well-preserved buildings from the Dutch era.

Please do look at buildings by the renowned architect, Geoffery Bawa! His country estate at Lunuganga is a treat!

Travel through Sri Lanka is slow, where roads are narrow, and often single carriageway. So you need patience! But I feel that it is well-rewarded if you really want to soak up the place.

Hope this helps!

• Jack T.

Jack T.

Thank you Hina:) We have been looking into the elephant orphanage. · (0 likelikes)

1. Dambulla (attraction)
    2. Colombo (city)
    3. Barefoot Gallery Colombo (attraction)
    4. Paradise Road cafe (restaurant)
    5. ODEL (attraction)
    6. Bentota Beach (attraction)
    7. Beruwala Beach (attraction)
    8. Wadduwa (city)
    9. Nuwara Eliya (city)
    10. Central Highlands (attraction)
    11. Ambewela (city)
    12. Galle (city)
    13. Lunuganga (hotel)

• ·
    • ·

Send Hina a Thank You Note