• MaryBeth Heydt
  • "Can anyone recommend itineraries, lodging, tour companies for Spain?"

MaryBeth Heydt

Los Angeles, California

Can anyone recommend itineraries, lodging, tour companies for Spain?

Hi!  Trying to plan a trip for next year (late March or Summer 2016) for about 10 days to celebrate a 10th anniversary.  My SO is enthralled with the idea of visiting Gibraltar.  I suspect it is not a place where folks would stay for 10 days.  We are not into the luxury travel scene. I have done a few tours through G Adventures, and I am fine with that style.  So long as the lodgings are clean, comfy bed, and safe, we are more interested in the experience, culture, etc.  

Can anyone recommend itineraries, lodging, tour companies, etc. to start the research?  Thanks!

• Maria O'Dwyer

Hi MaryBeth,

There is not much to do in Rock of Gibraltar so I think 10 days would be really excessive! I suggest you try to see Gibraltar on a day trip from Malaga or Seville take a look at www.toursbylocals.com

The Andalucía area is the most fascinating and beautiful, in my opinion. I love the cities: Seville Granada Cadiz and Malaga. There are also beautiful towns like RondaRondaand Frigiliana

Will you fly to Madrid from California? If so I recommend that you spend at least 2 days there. There is a lot to see and do in the capital.Madridimage from stoketravel.comAlvia runs a high-speed train connecting the main cities in Spain. Book on www.eurail.com or checkout www.seat61.com You can get a connection from Madrid to Cadiz and start your tour of Andalucia from there.

We usually book an apartment and really love the company Spain Select. The apartments are in great locations and are pretty fab and good value. You can book direct or on Flipkey or www.ownersdirect.co.uk. You can also find decent hostels, b&bs or small hotels on www.hostelworld.com or www.airbnb.com

Could I also suggest that late March is a great time to visit southern Spain. The Easter celebrations are phenomenal and last at least a week! The weather is usually sunny too and not too warm (70's) We visited Madrid one year in August and it was too hot and humid to enjoy walking around.

Have a great time!

• MaryBeth H.

MaryBeth H.

Maria, thanks! Have you visited Morocco from Spain? Any suggestions there? Thanks again, very informative! · (0 likelikes)

• Maria O.

Maria O.

No I haven't MaryBeth but I know that you can get a ferry to Morocco from Gibraltar or Tarifa and you can book tours from Malaga. It's quite a short trip · (0 likelikes)

1. Rock of Gibraltar (attraction)
    2. Malaga (city)
    3. Seville (city)
    4. Andalucía (state)
    5. Seville (city)
    6. Granada (city)
    7. Cadiz (city)
    8. Malaga (city)
    9. Ronda (city)
    10. Frigiliana (region)
    11. Madrid (city)
    12. Madrid (city)
    13. Cadiz (city)
    14. Madrid (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Maria a Thank You Note