• Ross Sparks
  • "Suggestions for trip to Thailand, Cambodia, and Burma?"

Ross Sparks

Fort Collins, Colorado

Suggestions for trip to Thailand, Cambodia, and Burma?

So me and the wife are planning on a 18 day trip to southeast asia. we will be flying into Bangkok and I only have two must do things on the trip.

1. Angkor Wat

2. secluded beach and town, preferably limestone cliffs. i want basics of civilization (a bar and a store) it doesn't have to be an island either.

any thing else is up in the air so give me your suggestions and itineraries for making this work.

many of you know me by now and know my travel style so obviously don't waste your time if you are recommending Phuket lol. of course i have an itinerary planned but would love to get some insight from those of you who are familiar with the area. also am i missing something on travel between Bangkok and Siem Reap, i thought small airlines in this part of the world would be cheaper than european ones?  and is Chang Mai a must or will the siem reap are give me what I'm looking for?

• Chiang Mai (city)

Chiang Mai

• Siem Reap (city)

Siem Reap

• Elephant Nature Park (attraction)

Sridonchai Rd. เมืองเชียงใหม่ Chiang Mai 50100

• Lawrence McFarland

Great trip idea, not dissimilar to the one I took last February. (I left off Cambodia in favor of more time in Myanmar.)

Here are my notes for Myanmar: In Yangon, the highlight of the city is the Shwedagon Pagoda complex. It is beautiful at any time of the day but stands out best in the hours before and after sunset.Shwedagon Pagoda

In the middle of the city's financial district, standing awkwardly in the center of a traffic circle, you will find the smaller but more historically significant Sule Pagoda. This area is where Yangon's citizens have protested against their government's abuses, which often has triggered even greater crackdowns.

The best shopping can be found in the massive Bogyoke Market. And for a great dinner experience, try one of the clustered barbecue restaurants on 19th Street.

I enjoyed Mandalay, where the hike down the holy site Mandalay Hill drops you near Kuthodaw Pagoda, where you can see the world's largest book. Mandalay also gives you a unique opportunity to travel to Old Bagan by boat. The trip was delightful, but you must arrive at the docks before dawn. And the arrival timetable is often delayed by a couple of hours.

Bagan was the standout thrill of the trip. Consider hiring a horse cart to take you between the temples. These business men are quite humble and flexible in meeting your needs, and you can rest assured that your payments will help feed a family. Bicycle rentals are also available.Old Bagan

A fabulous side trip from Bagan to Mt Popa. The local area allows you to both see a near-unique geologic phenomenon and also become more acquainted with the worship of local spirits, called Nats. Also, it's a chance to interact with the local population of monkeys.Mt Popa

Inle Lake offers a unique experience and a glimpse into Burmese culture. I found Indein Market and the nearby crumbling small temple ruins particularly intriguing. (From the village, cross the bridge and go up the hill to find the pagoda complex.)

Getting a visa to Myanmar is not easy, and you have to prepare for a cash economy based on brand new, crisp US$100.00 bills. You cannot expect your cell phone to work, ready access to an ATM, or hotels that take credit cards. But be prepared to be blown away by a wonderful culture.

Enjoy the trip!

• Annie T.

Annie T.

We going there next month, I will be referring to your guide 😃 · (2 likelikes)

• Annie T.

Annie T.

That's great Lawrence, thanks for reading. Contact me if you need any other information :) Happy travels! Annie Sell Up Go Travel · (0 likelikes)

1. Yangon (city)
    2. Shwedagon Pagoda (attraction)
    3. Sule Pagoda (attraction)
    4. Bogyoke Market (attraction)
    5. Mandalay (city)
    6. Kuthodaw Pagoda (attraction)
    7. Old Bagan (city)
    8. Mt Popa (attraction)
    9. Inle Lake (attraction)
    10. Indein Market (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Lawrence a Thank You Note