• Samantha Lew
  • "ANY advice to budget and plan a 3 week backpacking trip to South America"

Samantha Lew

Walnut Creek, California

ANY advice to budget and plan a 3 week backpacking trip to South America

Travelers: 2, boyfriend & girlfriend

Time of Year: Late September 2014

Destination: South America; we narrowed this trip down to Peru, west-Brazil/Amazonas, Ecuador for Galapagos

Total Time: 3 weeks

Budget: As cheap, rugged, yet fun and not bare skin and bones.  Flights are taken care of via work; so that's the biggest expense.  

Looking for best modes of transportation, where to start--where to end, places/hostels/hotels to stay at at a reasonable price

• Cusco (city)

Cusco

• Lima (attraction)

Miraflores Lima

• Bolivia (country)

• Bessie King

Hi Samantha, this sounds like it will be a great adventure. When I was working in Buenos Aires my boyfriend came to "pick me up" and we had two and a half weeks to do something. We ended up visiting Uruguay , Patagonia , Lima , Cuzco and Machu Picchu and, of course, seeing Buenos Aires.

A LOT can be done in three weeks :) I'd recommend you do a quick search at prices and pick a home base. A country where you'll fly in and out of, or arrive into because it's cheaper-you can always leave from another airport but it's the getting there that's the most important. If money is not an issue then start wherever you want but I'd recommend: Argentina , Chile , Peru , Uruguay. While we did not have time to visit Bolivia and Brazil , we really wanted to but time was upon us, I wouldn't feel bad about leaving these two aside for another trip. Logistically speaking you can travel between these four mentioned countries easily and quickly and hit some major touristic and historical spots.

Because I am not sure what your interests are, I'll share our journey.

Day 1-3: We started in Buenos Aires, took three days to see the major sights and go out in the city.

Days 3-6: We then headed to Uruguay on a fast ferry boat which arrived at Colonia at 6am, the oldest city of that country. It is a peaceful, traditional beach place and has the oddest and most fun history museum I've ever visited (dinosaur remains and antique furniture together). We stayed in Colonia for a day and-a-half then took a bus to Montevideo, the capital. That was more sightseeing and more upscale restaurants and bars. We left after a day.

Days 6-10: We flew from Buenos Aires to Lima and arrived into that city late so we just had to rest for the next day when we flew into Cuzco and began our journey to Aguas Calientes for Machu Picchu. If you go to Peru you should try, try, try, to make it to the ruins. It will probably take 4 days from your itinerary too but it is worth it, the little towns along the way aside from Cuzco and Aguas Calientes are beautiful and the whole Machu Picchu experience is amazing.

Days 11-12: Once we returned from the ruins we stayed in Lima and focused on seeing the city, there is a wonderful popular neighborhood, Miraflores Lima , with tons of shops and restaurants we enjoyed and El Centro, or the historic center of the city, is always alive it seemed with street vendors and restaurants open.

Days 13-18: Flew into Buenos Aires and connected to Patagonia, the farthest point on the continent. There we stayed at a wonderful local hostel in El Calafate and toured the glaciers, we then took ferry tours and got caught in the middle of a snow storm in Ushuaïa (!) then returned to Buenos Aires for a connecting flight to the US.

It was a lot packed in a relative short period of time, but honestly it felt seamlessly doable. We were glad we got to enjoy the heat and beauty of Peru as well as the tranquility of Uruguay and the city/nature offerings of Argentina. The food everywhere was absolutely delicious and we always took private cabs everywhere because they were safer, faster and way cheaper than what we'd pay in the US or Europe. I think you would be safe in picking three countries and exploring as much as you can in each, spending at least three to four days in every place, rather than attempt to visit five countries and feel pressured.

Good luck!

1. Buenos Aires (city)
    2. Uruguay (country)
    3. Patagonia (Argentina) (metro area)
    4. Lima (attraction)
    5. Cusco (city)
    6. Machu Picchu (region)
    7. Argentina (country)
    8. Chile (country)
    9. Peru (country)
    10. Bolivia (country)
    11. Brazil (country)
    12. Colonia, Uruguay (city)
    13. Aguas Calientes (attraction)
    14. Miraflores Lima (city)
    15. El Calafate (city)
    16. Ushuaïa (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Bessie a Thank You Note