• Spencer Spellman
  • "Where should I travel in Southern Africa beyond South Africa?"

Spencer Spellman

Los Angeles, California

Where should I travel in Southern Africa beyond South Africa?

So I'm in South Africa next month for a couple weeks and will have a week or two to explore some other parts of Southern Africa that I've never been to. I definitely want to try to swing an Okavango Delta trip, and also see some other beautiful parts of Southern Africa and do some adventure activities I've never done. Where would you recommend? And how easy (and budget-friendly) to get from South Africa to Mozambique, Namibia, and Botswana?

• Richard van Wyk

Hi Spencer, Jan Jaap's answer is excellent. From your question it sounds like you might have been to Cape Town before. If not, you should see as many of Jan's suggestions and add these: For adventure -You can abseil down the main face of Table Mountain, take a beach horse ride in Melkbosstrand, take a Harley ride around Cape Point or fly in a Gyrocopter, Huey or tandem paraglide around Camps Bay and Cape Town.

For cool sightseeing without the usual tourist feel and with real value for money, go on a craft beer brewery tour with SuperCoolBeerTourin Woodstock or the Forgotten Route Tour to Matjiesfontein with a company called Wine Flies (if I recall correctly).

If you have seen enough of beautiful Cape Town, before you head to any other country, go to Namibia. It is literally one of the most spectacular countries in the world and an adventure mecca. You can easily travel over to Victoria Fallsfrom there.

In Namibia you have to see the spectacular Spitzkoppe, the rock paintings at Twyfelfontein, the beautiful town of Swakopmundwhere you can go quad biking in the desert. You could spend a month in Namibia and not see every great site. Other top things to see on my list is the Welwitschia plains near Swakopmund, the Etosha National Park, and a multitude of sites and activities in Windhoek. And all of this is only in the North of Namibia. In the south you can hike, white water raft and go on horse safaris.

Let me know if any of these grab your interest and I will elaborate.

• Jan Jaap E.

Jan Jaap E.

Oh yeah, my bad. I forgot elaborating about Namibia and Vic falls. I was keeping the time line in mind too :)! Richard, we should become tour operators in South Africa! · (2 likelikes)

1. Table Mountain (attraction)
    2. Melkbosstrand (city)
    3. Cape Point (attraction)
    4. Camps Bay (attraction)
    5. Cape Town (city)
    6. SuperCoolBeerTour (unknown)
    7. Woodstock (unknown)
    8. Matjiesfontein (city)
    9. Namibia (country)
    10. Victoria Falls (attraction)
    11. Spitzkoppe (attraction)
    12. Twyfelfontein (attraction)
    13. Swakopmund (city)
    14. Swakopmund (city)
    15. Etosha National Park (park)
    16. Windhoek (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Richard a Thank You Note