• Nikhil Joseph
  • "Is five days too ambitious to complete a road trip from Durban to Cape Town?"

Nikhil Joseph

Boston, Massachusetts

Is five days too ambitious to complete a road trip from Durban to Cape Town?

A friend and I have a week between our flights in and out of Jo'burg. We're planning on flying to Durban, renting a car and driving to Cape Town. We hope to spend at least a couple of nights in Cape Town. Is that stretching ourselves too thin? What are some of the must-see places along the way? Most scenic routes? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We're both first-time travelers to South Africa. Thanks in advance!

• Katie Wire

It's certainly doable, although not ideal. Five days could be well spent in Cape Town alone. If all you have is five days though, you'll simply have to prioritize.

Do you enjoy wine and art? If so, one day of your adventure would be well spent on a trip through Stellenbosch and Franschhoek for wine and olive oil tastings, as well as art galleries. My husband and I particularly enjoyed the Cape Dutch architecture, beautiful estate grounds and red wines at Vergenoegd Wine Estate (Pty) Ltd. There's even a parade of ducks that are in charge of pest control. We also brought back quite a few wines and olive oils from Tokara, where great tastes and fine art come together.

Another worthwhile day trip would be around the cape through Hout Bay and Chapman's Bay Estate to the Cape of Good Hope, where you too can have a photo taken in front of the iconic Kaap die Goeie Hoop sign while watching waves crash over the rocky shoreline. You'll want to make time to walk around and up Cape Point, where the cape views are absolutely stunning. It gets breezy, so bring a light jacket. Watch for baboons and ostriches around the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve. Boulders Beach is a good place to stop for a bite to eat or drink and the colony of African Penguins is completely charming to observe. Between Millers Point and Fish Hoek, watch for Southern Right Whales during summer/fall seasons.

In Cape Town itself, there are a few must-sees, in my opinion. On a clear day, the Table Mountain views of Table Bay and Lion's Head will make you want to linger longer than you probably have time to do. It's also a good place to see the cape floral kingdom. In addition to being moved by the Robben Island Museum experience, the District Six Museum tells a compelling story and offers a well-curated presentation of Cape Town's past. Camps Bay is a beachy and restaurant-filled paradise that sits below the Twelve Apostles. Try to make time for a meal or a beach walk in the area.

Hope you have a terrific trip. I didn't want to leave Cape Town at the end of my visit.

• Nikhil J.

Nikhil J.

Thanks so much for the detailed suggestions! Will definitely be spending a good 2-3 based in Cape Town · (1 likelikes)

1. Cape Town (city)
    2. Stellenbosch (city)
    3. Franschhoek (city)
    4. Vergenoegd Wine Estate (Pty) Ltd (restaurant)
    5. Tokara (attraction)
    6. Hout Bay (attraction)
    7. Chapman's Bay Estate (attraction)
    8. Cape of Good Hope (attraction)
    9. Cape Point (attraction)
    10. Cape of Good Hope (attraction)
    11. Boulders Beach (attraction)
    12. Millers Point Tidal Pool (attraction)
    13. Fish Hoek (unknown)
    14. Table Mountain (attraction)
    15. Robben Island Museum (attraction)
    16. District Six Museum (attraction)
    17. Camps Bay (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Katie a Thank You Note