• Courtney Robinson
  • "How is public transportation in Shanghai?"

Courtney Robinson

Los Angeles, California

How is public transportation in Shanghai?

I'll be on my own this year while visiting a friend who is living in Shanghai and would like to get a handle on how good, bad or otherwise the public transportation system is there. Is it reliable? Safe for a woman taking it alone? Is it safe at night? Does it cover a fairly large area? Is it easy to figure out if you don't speak the language? Thanks so much in advance for your help!

• Hervé Roussel

Metro is reliable, safe and quite modern.

I didn't take it too late into night but overall Shanghai is one of the safest city I have travelled to in the world.

There are ticket vending machines in all the stations I have been to (they are very obvious). The ticketing machines feature an English mode. I don't speak a word of Mandarin and was able to get a ticket quite easily from those machines: all you need is the metro line number (or color) and then the name of your final stop. It's easy to get lost in the Chinese pictogram, I recommend you have those two information in Pinyin (latin transliteration) and Chinese Pictogram before you leave.

In the train itself, you will see an electronic board with blinking lights indicating which stop you are currently at and which one is the next one. There is also a PA in Mandarin, then English for every stops.

The metro stops are further apart that in most American or European cities I have been to. If you miss your stop, you will have a bit more walking in order to backtrack.

Metro maps come in handy for line transfer: they are available as mobile apps (https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/explore-shanghai-metro-map/id340706615?mt=8), as well as picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Shanghai_Metro_map_en.svg).

Hope this helps!

Really helpful insight, Herve! Thanks for sharing! · (1 likelikes)

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

This is great, Herve, thank you!!! · (1 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Hervé a Thank You Note