• Jessica Quintana
  • "How to deal with lack of sunshine in Seattle"

Jessica Quintana

Westminster, Colorado

How to deal with lack of sunshine in Seattle

How do you deal with the lack of sunshine in Seattle?  I am considering moving there from Denver, CO, where there is year round sunshine.

• Tony Wright

It's a trade-off. First, if you aren't a fan of extreme temperatures, you're in luck. Seattle is incredibly mellow. It has nearly 3x the "pleasant" weather that Denver does (“pleasant” here means the mean temperature was 55° - 75° , with a min-temp of 45° and a max of 85°,and there was no significant precipitation or snow depth). Source for that is here.

And, Seattle gets less rainfall than NYC-- so you're right in focusing on the lack of sunshine.

The good news is that there is GREAT sunshine during the summer months (late June thru September). Lawns get brown and the weather is just stunning.

Here's some good month-by-month sunshine data for Seattle.

So how to deal with it? First, get out regardless. I play Ultimate frisbee 2-3x per week year round, usually wearing shorts. How cool is that?

Second, get the heck out during Nov/Dec/Jan. 45min east you can ski at Stevens Pass Ski Area, Crystal Mountain Resort or Alpental Ski Area. 1.5 hours north you can pick up a ferry to San Juan Island (the sunniest place in Western Washington?). And, of course, SeaTac International Airport is right here, so a long weekend on LA/Hawaii/Mexico is more do-able than you might think if you budget for it.

And finally, enjoy the color green. Seattle weather makes for some gorgeous rainforest hiking.

• Jessica Q.

Jessica Q.

Fantastic answer! Thanks for the sources too. · (0 likelikes)

• Tony W.

Tony W.

You bet! Hopefully it helps when your friends say, "Moving to Seattle?! Hope you enjoy rain!" · (0 likelikes)

• Desiree F.

Desiree F.

One clarification is, especially having grown up in Salt Lake which I believe shares similar snow and access to resorts as Denver, don't expect the same quality. Snoqualmie Pass is the closest to Seattle at 45 minutes but the snow is poor to slush. The best resorts are significantly farther, 1.5-3 hours one-way, which is fine for most but not necessarily for those used to a number of excellent slopes within an hour, like Denver / Salt Lake. · (1 likelikes)

• Tony W.

Tony W.

@desiree Great point. It ain't perfect but it IS close... And at least it's a different collection of colors than "grey + green" that Seattle offers in the winter. :-) If you want world-class skiing, you have to run to Whistler (4.5+ hours, depending on border time!) · (0 likelikes)

1. Stevens Pass Ski Area (attraction)
    2. Crystal Mountain Resort (attraction)
    3. Alpental Ski Area (attraction)
    4. San Juan Island (island)
    5. SeaTac International Airport (amusement park)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tony a Thank You Note