• John Cassidy
  • "How do I get to the surrounding islands from Seattle?"

John Cassidy

Omaha, Nebraska

How do I get to the surrounding islands from Seattle?

I'm specifically looking at Whidbey Island because I'd love to experience a little bit of Washingtonian island life.  How would I go about getting there?  Is it easy to get around the islands by walking or public transportation? 

• Tony Wright

On the non-Whidbey front, you might consider:

• The San Juans - You need to drive 1.5 hours north to Anacortes and the schedules are pretty varied, but these are seriously some of the prettiest islands on Earth. Car required. Visit Orcas if you can only visit one. Worth googling, but if you want more info, let me know.
    • Bainbridge Island - this you CAN walk to, right from the downtown Ferry dock in Seattle. There's a nice little walkable town on the other side.
    • Vashon Island - drive-on Ferry in West Seattle. Pretty charming but the main town is away from the dock on the other side, so you'll definitely want to drive on.
    • You can also walk onto the West Seattle Water Taxi ( West Seattle shoreline )... It's not an Island, but it's $3.50 (one way) and there's a killer Hawaiian/Korean fusion place (called Marination Ma Kai on the other side with a full bar and a patio. Great plan for a sunny day with a few hours to kill.

• Annemarie D.

Annemarie D.

I want to second the suggestion for Bainbridge. I was dragged there by a wino friend for a winery tour, and turns out it's adorable with a few great restaurants and a very homey community. · (2 likelikes)

1. Bainbridge Island (city)
    2. Vashon Island (island)
    3. West Seattle shoreline (attraction)
    4. Marination Ma Kai (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tony a Thank You Note