• Susan Johnson
  • "Baby Moon recommendations for Seattle"

Susan Johnson

Manhattan Beach, California

Baby Moon recommendations for Seattle

I am planning a baby moon with my husband (2nd baby - not bringing 1st child) to Seattle, and the northwest in general. I'm looking to see beautiful landscapes, get off the beaten path, eat good food, stay in a nice hotel (splurge), and maybe hit up a winery or two (for the wine I will drink post due date). ;)  

We'll be going to Seattle (and surrounding area - tbd) in the fall to see the colors and take in the autumn. Suggestions that include anything autumn-y are highly appreciated! :)

• Casey B.

Casey B.

Salish Lodge and Spa is a beautiful place to stay, very luxurious, on-site massages, beautiful water fall. If you were a Northern Exposure fan, Roslyn is very near where you can still see the old set. https://plus.google.com/114967683370942351717/about?gl=cr&hl=en · (1 likelikes)

• Bainbridge Island Ferry (attraction)

801 Alaskan Way King WA 98104 (206) 515-3400

• La Bête (restaurant)

1802 Bellevue Avenue Seattle WA 98122-2019 (206) 329-4047

• The Walrus and the Carpenter (restaurant)

4743 Ballard Avenue Northwest Seattle WA 98107 (206) 395-9227

• Tony Wright

(congrats!)

First, go in the earliest part of autumn that you can. It doesn't get crazy cloudy/drizzly 'till later in the fall (usually) but no harm in stacking the deck. The NW colors aren't very dramatic compared to the east coast and they often don't show up until the nasty weather does.

Where to stay
    If you're going to splurge, the Edgewater Hotel is a great location and literally hangs over the water. It's walkable to the Olympic Sculpture Park and Pike Place Market . There are also a few really nice hotels on 5th/6th... But those can be a bit of a hike up the hill from Pike Place Market. AirBnB might be worth a look too (but you should have a guide-- downtown neighborhoods are safe but certain ones can be dirty/noisy).

Landscapes
    For otherworldly northwestern rainforest feel right in the city, you can't beat Schmitz Preserve Park in West Seattle. UW sends botany students here-- it's the closest example of old-growth in Seattle. You could take the water taxi over to West Seattle ($3.50). On the other side is a Hawaiian/Korean fusion place that is awesome ( http://marinationmobile.com/ma-kai ) and a free shuttle to Alki Beach (a great place to run, see the Seattle skyline, and wander up into Schmitz).

Golden Gardens is also a pretty park up near Ballard.

Gasworks Park Marina is a fun park to see Lake Union. You can drive, or if you're feeling ambitious you can rent an electric boat ( http://www.theelectricboatco.com/ ) with a bag full of food/drink and see it from the water. Agua Verde Paddle Club ( http://aguaverde.com/ ) has a dock. You can (if you do the electric boat) dock there for lunch or (if you drive) you could rent a kayak there.

There are more landscapes outside of Seattle. Cave B (http://www.cavebinn.com/ ) is built organically in/around the side of the columbia river gorge. Gorgeous country with a winery on site. Leavenworth is a hilarious bavarian themed town worth gorgeous landscapes around it. The San Juan Islands are peerless. You could head down to Mt. Ranier. All depends on how far you feel like driving or whether you want to stay in town.

Food
    It looks like you're from LA-- Seattle is quite compact compared to what you're used to. Any restaurant you find on Yelp/Urbanspoon will be within a 20m drive. I'm running low on time, but Lark and Matt's in The Market are two fine dining favorites of mine (ask for a view seat at Matt's and make reservations well in advance). I'd favor www.urbanspoon.com over Yelp - the founders are foodies from Seattle, so it's pretty solid there.

• Susan J.

Susan J.

This is amazing!!! Thanks Tony W. I can't wait to go :) · (2 likelikes)

• JR J.

JR J.

Strong answer! I love it when someone with local knowledge let's their pride shine through!! thanks Tony... can't wait to get up there. · (2 likelikes)

1. Edgewater Hotel (hotel)
    2. Olympic Sculpture Park (attraction)
    3. Pike Place Market (attraction)
    4. Schmitz Preserve Park (attraction)
    5. Golden Gardens (attraction)
    6. Gasworks Park Marina (attraction)
    7. Agua Verde Paddle Club (attraction)
    8. Cave B (attraction)
    9. Lark (restaurant)
    10. Matt's in The Market (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tony a Thank You Note