• Jason Bennion
  • "Day trip to Hardian's Wall from Glasgow/Edinburgh"

Jason Bennion

Salt Lake City, Utah

Day trip to Hardian's Wall from Glasgow/Edinburgh

Hi all! I'm planning a trip to Scotland in September and I'd like to take an afternoon and walk a mile or so of Hadrian's Wall. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good section of the wall, or perhaps a town with a visitor's center or museum pertaining to the wall? I've been exploring Carlisle a little bit, but it doesn't look like it has quite what I'm looking for...

• Alex Jorge

Hi Jason,

I think your best bet is to take a train to Newcastle and then head to a more central portion of the wall via regional rail service. The trouble with Hadrian's Wall is that there isn't much of it left in larger urban centres so the start and end points, in Newcastle and Carlisle, aren't great if you want to experience the actual monument.

I walked a stunning portion (4-6hours) of it last April, while based near Hexham. May be best to explore over a weekend so you can factor in travelling time from Scotland.

If you would like more details and some pictures, check out the detailed account on my blog: http://www.aforkinlondon.com/post/86410694135/hadrians-wall

Also, take note that you will save much time if you drive as public transport along the wall is quite sporadic and slow.

Enjoy exploring!

• Jason B.

Jason B.

Thanks, Alex! I probably should have mentioned that I will be renting a car, but your insight about the urban areas is exactly what I needed. Can you tell me anything about Birdoswald Roman Fort? It looks like it would be an easy drive out from Glasgow (about two hours, according to Google). I've seen online reviews that are quite contradictory about whether it's worth the time and cost... · (0 likelikes)

• Alex J.

Alex J.

A car will make all the difference! I never made it to Birdoswald but it has a reputation for being one of the better preserved sites. I would just keep in mind that, naturally, the monument is 2000yrs old so 'well preserved' means you will find foundations and low walls that allow an estimation of the floorplan. This was definitely true for Housesteads and Vindolanda which are very close to Birdoswald. I personally love a bit of Roman urban planning so these sites along the wall were fascinating to me. However, I also admit that, unless you love the landscape and the countryside, you may be a bit let down -- the Forum in Rome this is not! · (1 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Alex a Thank You Note