• Gabriel Perez
  • "Best way for a group of 5 to get around on Santorini?"

Gabriel Perez

Toronto Division, Canada

Best way for a group of 5 to get around on Santorini?

My family and I (5 adults) are spending a day in Santorini as one of the stops of our cruise. I was wondering what is the best way for us to get around while on the island.

• Missy Johnston

Santorini

Hi, the very best way to tour Santorini for a day is to ask the Cruise Concierge to have a rental car or jeep made available for you and waiting for you at the quay where the Cruise ship will unload guests for the day or make the arrangements yourself with a rental car company in Santorini. Personally I prefer a jeep. Be sure to visit Akrotiri, the towns of Thira, and Oia, and at the top of a mountain on the main island are the ruins of Ancient Thera. For lunch a favorite Taverna of mine is in Oia. Park in the car park in Oia, head down the hill to the harbor, then walk along the quay past all of the Tavernas to the Taverna on the other side of the harbor farthest from the car park. It is excellent. I will be there in a few weeks for lunch.

• Gabriel P.

Gabriel P.

Thanks Missy! I've read in several places that finding a place to park in Santorini can be a challenge. And we'll be there on a Saturday which I think makes things worst. What's your take on that? · (0 likelikes)

• Missy J.

Missy J.

Yes, parking can be a challenge around the walking street towns of Thira and Oia, however the only other choice would be hiring a car and driver, and I have always preferred to rent a self drive jeep (easiest, I think to park). If you cannot find a car rental place that will bring a rental to the quay where you would disembark in Santorini from the Cruise Ship by tender, I suggest taking a taxi from that quay to the airport to pickup a rental car and then return the rental to the airport and take a taxi, for which there is always a cue at the airport, back to the quay. · (1 likelikes)

1. Santorini (island)
    2. Akrotiri (attraction)
    3. Thira (city)
    4. Oia (city)
    5. Ancient Thera (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Missy a Thank You Note