• Debbie Lee
  • "Wine tasting in the San Luis Obispo area"

Debbie Lee

San Francisco, California

Wine tasting in the San Luis Obispo area

I plan on taking a road trip with friends down to San Luis Obispo this year just for the wine that I've heard so much about.  I was actually just down there last month for my brother's graduation, but it was so full of grad activities that I didn't get a chance to get my fill of that (only got to go to Edna Valley Vineyards), so I'm coming back down for more :)

Does anyone have winerysuggestions in the area?  We'll likely be taking the 101 down from San Francisco, so if there are any good spots coming into town, we'd love to know.  Thanks!

• Shayne Kline

I actually live in Paso Robles (just a little north of San Luis Obispo), so I can give you a pretty diverse list of what's going on in my hometown as well as surrounding areas, especially when it comes to food and wine.

I have to suggest the Summerwood Winery and Inn (Disclaimer: I am the General Manager but stop by and say hi if you're in the area and I'll show you around!) It's arguably one of the most beautiful wineries in Paso, complete with an Inn and excutive Chef across the street. Excellent wines and great gardens to enjoy a picnic.

Other favorites in Paso Robles include:

• Villicana Winery: Alex and Monica Villicana are good friends of mine and they have some great wines. They also just installed a Still and are making boutique spirits. Say hi for me if you stop by.
    • Calcareous Vineyard: This winery sits up on a hill with 360 degree views of the Westside of Paso and I love their wines. Bonus tip: on the weekends they have Thomas Hill Organics on site making special salads and sandwiches for lunch. We brought lunch for the kids and all sat at this family style table and had a great time. Make sure to check out the cheese platter. One of the only places where you can get lunch at the winery. It was raining the day we went but on a nice day it would be killer to eat outside in the garden area.
    • Linne Calodo: This is a Cal Poly guy that worked at Wild Horse and decided to start his own winery. He makes some really nice wines at a neat little winery but it is by appt. only. Currently he is sold out but come back in the spring and check him out.
    • Halter Ranch Vineyard: Great wine, historic grounds, buildings, barns, a 200 year old oak tree. Not much to not like here.
    • Tablas Creek Vineyard: Maybe the most well balanced wines in the area and they make lots of unique varities that you won't find unless you travel to Spain or Italy like Vermentino, Picpoul and Mourvedre.
    • By the way, if you like beer, Firestone Walker Brewing Company is a great place to stop in for one.

Templeton (in between Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo)

• Epoch Estate Wines: Justin Smith of Saxuum fame is the consulting winemaker here and the wines are killer. These guys are kinda the cool new kids on the block and doing a good job.
    • Cypher Winery: Great wines and energy here. All the beautiful people flock here for some reason... you'd fit right in.

Arroyo Grande (south of San Luis Obispo)

• Laetitia Vineyard & Winery: If you are looking for some local bubbles they make a killer sparkler. This is right off the 101 in AG.

• Amy W.

Amy W.

Thanks Shayne. I am planning a trip to the Paso area in the near future as well.... These are great suggestions! · (1 likelikes)

1. Summerwood Winery and Inn (hotel)
    2. Villicana Winery (attraction)
    3. Calcareous Vineyard (attraction)
    4. Linne Calodo (attraction)
    5. Halter Ranch Vineyard (attraction)
    6. Tablas Creek Vineyard (attraction)
    7. Firestone Walker Brewing Company (attraction)
    8. Epoch Estate Wines (attraction)
    9. Cypher Winery (attraction)
    10. Laetitia Vineyard & Winery (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Shayne a Thank You Note