• Kristen Keenan
  • "San Jose - where to stay and is it safe downtown?"

Kristen Keenan

Arlington (Virginia), Virginia

San Jose - where to stay and is it safe downtown?

We are looking to stay downtown. Is it safe? Where should we stay? (4 girls)

• Rocio Acevedo

National Theatre of Costa Rica

Hello Kristen! I am glad that you are planning to visit my beautiful country Costa Rica. I would say that San Jose downtown is a safe city just avoid to stay in hotels near the Costa Rican Center of Science and Culture. or Museo de Nino as it is known. The museum is pretty nice, unfortunately it is not located in a very safe area. Therefore, I will recommend a few that I consider nice and safe hotels such as :Holiday Inn, Hotel Presidente - San Jose, Costa Rica, Hotel Balmoral and Hotel Grano De Oro. There is another option in case you want to stay in a trendy and upscale suburb. In this area you can find a variety of restaurants, malls, bars, etc. Escazu area. The best hotels are: Real InterContinental San Jose Costa Rica, Courtyard By Marriott San Jose, Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu and Residence Inn.

Hope you have time to visit our beautiful and unique National Theatre of Costa Rica, Museo de Jade, Pre-Columbian Gold Museum among other interesting places.

Hope this helps!! Pura vida!

Hotel Grano De Oro

• Kristen K.

Kristen K.

Thank you for all the recommendations! I booked a room at the Hotel Santo Tomas. Have you heard anything negative? · (0 likelikes)

• Rocio A.

Rocio A.

It is a nice hotel located in Barrio Amon, pretty close to San Jose downtown. Barrio Amon is a neighborhood that is showing daily signs of revitalization as the city (and many local artists) have been investing in new building restoration, tourist police, landscaping and lighting for the parks as well as in the opening of many new little restaurants, bars/brew pubs, etc. One of my favorite areas in San Jose to rediscover. · (0 likelikes)

1. Costa Rica (country)
    2. Costa Rican Center of Science and Culture (attraction)
    3. Holiday Inn (hotel)
    4. Hotel Presidente - San Jose, Costa Rica (hotel)
    5. Hotel Balmoral (attraction)
    6. Hotel Grano De Oro (attraction)
    7. Escazu (city)
    8. Real InterContinental San Jose Costa Rica (restaurant)
    9. Courtyard By Marriott San Jose (hotel)
    10. Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu (restaurant)
    11. Residence Inn (hotel)
    12. National Theatre of Costa Rica (attraction)
    13. Museo de Jade (attraction)
    14. Pre-Columbian Gold Museum (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Rocio a Thank You Note