• Mark Knudtsen
  • "Where's the best ramen in San Francisco?"

Mark Knudtsen

San Francisco, California

Where's the best ramen in San Francisco?

I've been getting into ramen recently and would like to know the best spots to check out.

• San Mateo (city)

San Mateo California

• Katana Ya (restaurant)

430 Geary St SF CA 94102 (415) 771-1280

• Ramen Underground (restaurant)

San Francisco CA 94108 (415) 999-2503

• Debbie Lee

I really like Katana Ya in the Tenderloin. It's probably the most popular spot in the city for ramen, so prepare for a line! I like this place because all they have a decent variety of ramen and I really like that you can choose the "density" level of the broth. I'm trying to cut back on sodium, so I order it "light" and it's perfect. My favorite ramen to get here is their "butter corn". They have sushi, too, but pretty much no one comes here for the sushi.

Close by in the Financial District is the newer Ramen Underground. It's a little pricier than Katana Ya and you can't choose how light or heavy your broth is. I do like the fresh spinach that tops each bowl. I ordered spicy miso with corn here:Ramen UndergroundOrenchi Beyond just opened in the Mission last month, by the same people who opened the beloved Orenchi Ramen in Santa Clara. Haven't been yet, but the pictures of it leads me to believe it's a very hip place! I believe it has a sake bar.

And of course, there's also Japantown. None of them particularly stand out to me as better than the other; I feel like they're all on the same caliber and pretty good. There's Tanpopo, Waraku, Ramen Yamadaya, and Suzu Noodle House & Japanese Restaurant

I know these are a lot of ramen places, but honestly, I don't think you can go wrong at any of them. You can go on a ramen tour ;)

1. Katana Ya (restaurant)
    2. Ramen Underground (restaurant)
    3. Orenchi Beyond (restaurant)
    4. Tanpopo (restaurant)
    5. Waraku (restaurant)
    6. Ramen Yamadaya (restaurant)
    7. Suzu Noodle House & Japanese Restaurant (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Debbie a Thank You Note