• Victoria Taveras
  • "Where is the best neighborhood to stay in San Francisco?"

Victoria Taveras

Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Where is the best neighborhood to stay in San Francisco?

Im going to San Francisco but I want to know what is the best neighbourhood to stay in, in terms of activities within walking distance and availability of public transportation.

• Union Square (attraction)

San Francisco California

• Fisherman's Wharf (attraction)

Jefferson St. & Taylor St. San Francisco CA 94133 (415) 674-7503

• Nob Hill (neighborhood)

California Street San Francisco California 94108

• Debbie Lee

I suggest staying downtown around the Union Square area. From there, public transportation to most parts of the city is pretty easy. You can take the BART subway train, MUNI bus, and it's very easy to hail a cab if you need to. It's pretty much the center hub for public transportation. Just don't plan on renting a car there because parking is a nightmare! That's close to a lot of shopping at Powell Street , San Francisco Chinatown , and you can also walk to the Ferry Building , which is a very famous spot in San Francisco full of specialty food stores.

Union Square

Other neighborhoods in that same area that you can look into are Nob Hill , Financial District , and SOMA . With SOMA, look for places that are closer to Union Square/Market St. because otherwise, SOMA also reaches out to the water away from public transportation and attractions.

If it's your very first time in San Francisco, the Fisherman's Wharf area could also be a fun place to stay, but it's mostly very touristy and a little more difficult to get around than the downtown area.

One neighborhood that I would try to avoid is the Tenderloin . Though very close to Downtown, things get sketchy really fast there. There are some okay parts there, and it's getting better, but there are also some really scary parts, too. I'm okay walking alone there in the day time because I'm familiar with the area, but I wouldn't suggest anyone new to the area walk around there by themselves or even in a group because you don't want to make a wrong turn there. It's a very small part of San Francisco, though, so anywhere else, you'll fine :)

San Francisco's great and you'll have a lot of fun. Let me know if you have any other questions!

ETA: Some of my favorite places in SF since you asked in a comment, and I swear you could even get a glimpse of all of these in a long weekend, so 5 days is perfect to really enjoy everything!

• Ferry Building : Try to come here on your Saturday morning in SF because that's when the famous farmer's market is! It's not just for buying fresh, local produce. There are also a ton of great gourmet food stands (a lot of which have actual restaurants), so you can experience the awesomeness of San Francisco food. Inside the Ferry Building itself is also great to experience. If you like cheese, got to Cowgirl Creamery And if you like coffee, you have to go to Blue Bottle Coffee
    • Cupid's Span : While at the Ferry Building, walk over to Cupid's Span for a great photo op of the sculpture and the Bay Bridge.
    • Waterbar: If you like oysters at all, walk a little further down to Waterbar. It's a gorgeous restaurant with a beautiful view of the Bay Bridge and the water. It's a pricy restaurant, but they actually have an awesome happy hour menu. From 11:30 AM to 5:30 PM every day, they have $1 oysters! Try to go earlier in the day though, because they don't take reservations and they get packed.
    • Palomino Restaurant : If Waterbar is packed, go across the street to Palomino. Around lunch time is when the sun hits their patio the most, so try to go there then. Another gorgeous restaurant that looks pricy, but actually has an awesome all-day happy hour menu.
    • Justin Herman Plaza : If you walk across from the Ferry Building to the right, you'll see the Justin Herman Plaza. The egg head sculptures are fun to photograph and there's an amazing industrial-looking waterfall structure that you can actually climb and also walk through (just discovered this the other weekend!).
    • Fisherman's Wharf : There's the Pier 39 here which is full of restaurants. Tons of seafood here and you should at least try clam chowder from a bread bowl, which you can get at most restaurants there, or even from a street vendor. You can see sea lions here. There's also an In-N-Out Burger there if you like burgers. It's a well-loved chain of burger restaurants that's mostly in California.
    • Alcatraz : You can take a ferry over to this old prison island. It's pretty fascinating.
    • Golden Gate Bridge : Something else that's fun to do is to rent a bike and bike across the Golden Gate Bridge. You can also walk across it. It's typically an all-day thing, though, if you can allot the time for it.
    • Golden Gate Park : There are tons to photograph here because it's a huge park! de Young Museum is beautiful on the outside even if you decide not to go in. Stow Lake is gorgeous, as are the Japanese Tea Garden and the San Francisco Botanical Garden . The outside of the botanical garden is beautiful, and if you want to go inside, it's only $7.
    • If you want to go barhopping, the Mission District and Polk Street are great streets to walk through.
    • For a fun place to picnic, you have to go to Mission Dolores Park midday to picnic! It's the thing to do! Grab a bottle of wine Bi-Rite Creamery , maybe some ice cream at the Bi-Rite Market , and a sandwich from Ike's Place or a burrito from El Farolito and just laze in the sun.

• Victoria T.

Victoria T.

Thank You so Much! Everywhere I looked seemed like a good place to stay. Way too many options in San Francisco so this helps me narrow down my search a lot, so thank you. Im more interested in the non touristy things (event hough I am a tourist!) I'll be in the area 5 nights what do you think is something I just cant skip? · (1 likelikes)

My pleasure! I know what you mean about being/not being tourist! Just updated my answer with some suggestions :) · (0 likelikes)

• Victoria T.

Victoria T.

Thanks so much for the update!! I want to do everything!! I arrive on Friday Night so I will definetly do the Ferry Building Famers Market! I love them. Do you think I can do your list in 2 days? Like maybe split that iteneray and cover that saturday and sunday or you think is too much? · (1 likelikes)

I think that the two things on the list that will take the longest are Alcatraz, because you have to ferry to and from the island and there's a lot to see there, and the Golden Gate Bridge if you decide to bike or walk across it. Those two alone can take an entire afternoon or even day if you want. Most of the other places though, are just things that you can walk through, maybe spend an hour at. SF's pretty small and a lot of these places are close to or on the way to one another. One sample itinerary of a day could be walking around the Embarcadero to see Justin Herman Plaza and Cupid's Span, and then going to the Ferry Building Farmer's Market for brunch, then take the ferry from there to Alcatraz, and then take the ferry from Alcatraz over to Pier 39 for dinner, then maybe cab it somewhere to barhop or shop :) · (1 likelikes)

1. Union Square (attraction)
    2. Powell Street (attraction)
    3. San Francisco Chinatown (attraction)
    4. Ferry Building (attraction)
    5. Nob Hill (neighborhood)
    6. Financial District (attraction)
    7. SOMA (neighborhood)
    8. Union Square (attraction)
    9. Market St (unknown)
    10. Fisherman's Wharf (attraction)
    11. Tenderloin (neighborhood)
    12. Ferry Building (attraction)
    13. Cowgirl Creamery (attraction)
    14. Blue Bottle Coffee (restaurant)
    15. Cupid's Span (attraction)
    16. Waterbar (restaurant)
    17. Palomino Restaurant (restaurant)
    18. Justin Herman Plaza (attraction)
    19. Fisherman's Wharf (attraction)
    20. Pier 39 (attraction)
    21. In-N-Out Burger (restaurant)
    22. Alcatraz (attraction)
    23. Golden Gate Bridge (attraction)
    24. Golden Gate Park (attraction)
    25. De Young Museum (attraction)
    26. Stow Lake (attraction)
    27. Japanese Tea Garden (attraction)
    28. San Francisco Botanical Garden (attraction)
    29. Mission District (neighborhood)
    30. Polk Street (attraction)
    31. Dolores Park (attraction)
    32. Bi-Rite Creamery (restaurant)
    33. Bi-Rite Market (attraction)
    34. Ike's Place (restaurant)
    35. El Farolito (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Debbie a Thank You Note