• Tatum Nansen
  • "What's the best neighborhood in S.F. for a first time visitor?"

What's the best neighborhood in S.F. for a first time visitor?

I've never been to SF and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what SF is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. Thanks!

• Kristal Sajasi

Hi Tatum,

The beauty of SF is in all the different neighborhoods. However, I can definitely see how it can get overwhelming quickly. To be honest, there aren't necessarily certain super central areas since SF is already so packed and small you can stay in various parts and feel completely part of the city. However, each area provides a different feel and it depends on what you like and are looking for. I will break down the main areas which might make your decision easier - and might give you a better idea of where you want to explore.

- Union Square - while this is where most tourists stay I would advise against it. It's an area you can venture into when exploring; however it's mainly filled with tourists and lots of shopping, also the traffic is heavily congested there and they always seem to be doing construction.

- Financial District - no one actually stays here unless you're here for business, but there are good restaurants in the area (La Fusion, Cotogna, Yank Sing, The Barrel Room, Bask, Sauce:Belden)

- North Beach - Also known as Little Italy, this area can get very congested as well, usually with tourists. If you are looking for some good eats, this is a place you can come although I wouldn't recommend staying here.

- San Francisco Chinatown - one of the largest in the world I think, it's super fun to walk around and find hidden gems and cheap eats, however, I wouldn't stay here - a little smelly and kind of hectic.

- Mission District - an up and coming neighborhood with lots of eats (both cheap and pricey), good Mexican food, lots of cafes and cute boutique shops. I wouldn't stay here, but I would definitely recommend you visit. You'll find La Taqueria - best burritos, Craftsmen and Wolves - good bakery, balompie - cheap and good pupusas, Tartine bakery - one of the most well known bakeries in SF, Little Star - best deep dish pizza.

- Hayes Valley - this is one of my favorite places in the city and definitely one you can stay at. They have great restaurants, cute cafes and nice shops. You can get my favorite cake in this area, honey cake from 20th Century Cafe, for good sushi there's Otoro, I also really like Chantel Guillon for macarons. There are beer gardens, lots of people walking around, eating out. I really like this neighborhood.

- SOMA - what we call the area south of Market Street, this area has great restaurants, still kind of businessy, but also filled with cafes, bars etc. With this area and Union square (as well as the Financial District) you'll notice a lot of homeless and I would caution to make sure you stay away from the Tenderloin - it's a fine place to go grab a bite during the day, but it's not a nice area to be walking around at night. Here you're close to Moscone Center, ATT park, Yerba Buena Gardens, SF Moma. There is also a great range of hotels here.

- Presidio - Great area, nature filled and although it's close to a lot it feels very different staying here because you're surrounded by trees. A little oasis in the city.

- Noe Valley and Castro St are right next to each other and provide a good central location. They are safe and filled with cute stores and restaurants.

- Nob Hill - another great neighborhood, you could stay around this area and make sure to check out Hyde St for restaurants like Frascati and Seven Hills. In a stretch of 5 blocks, you'll find some of the best restaurants. Great hotels.

- Marina District - very young, college aged locals. Lot's of bars and restaurants. Chestnut St is nice if you're looking for food. You can stay in the area or Pacific Heights and you'll be close to the bridge, Lombard street, Crissy Fields, and the water.

Haight-Ashbury - if you're looking for an eclectic area where you want to stay away from tourists and embrace the quirky and funky side of SF, this may be for you.

I know this was really long, but I figured a little snippet of each main area might give you a better idea of where to stay and explore.

-Kristal

1. Union Square (attraction)
    2. Financial District (attraction)
    3. North Beach (neighborhood)
    4. San Francisco Chinatown (attraction)
    5. Mission District (neighborhood)
    6. Hayes Valley (neighborhood)
    7. SOMA (neighborhood)
    8. Tenderloin (neighborhood)
    9. Presidio (neighborhood)
    10. Noe Valley (neighborhood)
    11. Castro St (unknown)
    12. Nob Hill (neighborhood)
    13. Hyde St (unknown)
    14. Frascati (restaurant)
    15. Marina District (neighborhood)
    16. Chestnut St (unknown)
    17. Pacific Heights (neighborhood)
    18. Haight-Ashbury (neighborhood)

• ·
    • ·

Send Kristal a Thank You Note