• Nelson Doherty
  • "What do the 20-30'something year olds in San Francisco do?"

Nelson Doherty

Austin, Texas

What do the 20-30'something year olds in San Francisco do?

My friend and I are coming to San Francisco for a couple of weeks to work on a project with some folks out there.  While there, we'd also like to do some exploring.  Where do all the local 20-30'something year old folks hang out? Bars, cafes, neighborhoods, etc. We want to live like locals!

• Ferry Building (attraction)

1 The Embarcadero San Francisco CA 94105 (415) 983-8030

• North Beach (neighborhood)

Near 655 Union St San Francisco CA 94133

• Polk Street (attraction)

Polk San Francisco CA

• Debbie Lee

Dolores Park is one of the first things that comes to mind. It's a pretty big park and every sunny day, you'll see people people picnicking there. The weekends are the best time to go. It's when the most people come and when it's the most festive. When it gets that crowded, in an unofficial way, the park is divided up into several sections -- the hippies, hipsters, gays, those with kids, those who tight rope, etc. You'll know which you're in when you see it :P

Order some sandwiches from Ike's Place online (at least one hour in advance because that place gets packed), then make your way to Bi-Rite Market to pick up some wine or craft beer. If you're feeling like ice cream, go to Bi-Rite Creamery across the street. And then make your way back to Dolores Park with the goods and chill out and people watch for the next few hours.

While in the Mission , you can bar and restaurant hope on 16th Street, Mission St., 24th St, and Valencia St. So many stores, restaurants, and bars there. I'm a big fan of El Farolito for their quesadillas. Great late night option since they're open till like 2 or 3 AM. For a nicer place, I also like Tacolicious a lot (theres's also a Tacolicious in the Marina). Great tacos, queso dip, and margaritas. Another good Mexican place is Velvet Cantina . Great entrees, queso dip, and margaritas. As you can tell, lots of Mexican food in the Mission!

A lot of locals hate on North Beach District because it's "too far" and "touristy", but I actually really enjoy it. I hang out at 901 Columbus Caffe a lot with my laptop. It's great for coworking session. Oh, and $2 pints of craft beer, and $3 glasses of wine after 5 PM. Kennedy's is an interesting spot out there. Definitely a local spot. It's an Irish pub/Indian restaurant. I also like Delluva for wine and flatbread pizza. There are tons of touristy restaurants on Columbus St, but this one's just tucked off of the main road, isn't touristy, and is a way better deal than the others.

For barhopping, Polk Street is a good street for it. There's Hemlock Tavern , Lush Lounge ... start at either of those, and just walk around. You'll find plenty of food and other bars.

On Saturday and Thursday afternoons, there's an awesome farmer's market at the Ferry Building . In addition to produce, you can get all sorts of other prepared foods from the food stands, like loco moco, Korean tacos, gourmet pizza, coffee, etc. And on any day, you can just go to the Ferry Building, hit up the stores in the building and grab a bottle of wine at the Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant , some cheese from Cowgirl Creamery , bread Acme Bread Company , pate at Boccalone Salumeria , and whatever else tickles your fancy there, and just picnic by the water with a view of the bridge outside. After you can take a walk along The Embarcadero .

Let me know if you want any other suggestions. Have fun!

• Nelson D.

Nelson D.

San Francisco sounds like it's going to be awesome! I will definitely try to hit up as many of these as I can. Thank you! · (1 likelikes)

You're welcome! Enjoy SF! · (0 likelikes)

1. Dolores Park (attraction)
    2. Ike's Place (restaurant)
    3. Bi-Rite Market (attraction)
    4. Bi-Rite Creamery (attraction)
    5. Mission District (neighborhood)
    6. El Farolito (restaurant)
    7. Tacolicious (attraction)
    8. Tacolicious (restaurant)
    9. Velvet Cantina (restaurant)
    10. North Beach (neighborhood)
    11. 901 Columbus Caffe (restaurant)
    12. Kennedy's Irish Pub & Indian Restaurant (restaurant)
    13. Dell'Uva (restaurant)
    14. Polk Street (attraction)
    15. Hemlock Tavern (attraction)
    16. Lush Lounge (attraction)
    17. Ferry Building (attraction)
    18. Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant (restaurant)
    19. Cowgirl Creamery (attraction)
    20. Acme Bread Company (restaurant)
    21. Boccalone Salumeria (restaurant)
    22. The Embarcadero (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Debbie a Thank You Note