• Liz Olson
  • "Is it easy to walk around San Francisco and take public transportation?"

Liz Olson

Los Angeles, California

Is it easy to walk around San Francisco and take public transportation?

I'm considering visiting San Francisco this summer but need to know whether it's a city that I can walk around and take public transportation around, like downtown Seattle or NYC.  I'm traveling on a budget and I'm not old enough to rent a car yet, so I wanna travel to a place where I can get around easily without one!

• Debbie Lee

As with a lot of things, "it depends" :P But for the most part, San Francisco is very easy to get around by walking, biking, and/or public transportation. So much so that a lot of my friends who live in San Francisco don't have cars here.

The city's very densely populated so you'll see people walking around a lot. There's pretty much public transportation to anywhere in the city, and then some. It's just a matter of how often the bus runs in certain neighborhoods and whether you have to transfer.

I would say that anywhere where an out-of-town traveler would want to go to, there's probably fairly easy transportation there. The parts where there are less public transportation options and where bus lines don't run as often is in more residential neighborhoods on the outskirts of the city.

If you have a smartphone of sorts, the public transportation option on the Google Maps app is great, I use it all the time and it's pretty accurrate and even gives you additional times and the costs.

The three main modes of public transportation here are:

• BART -- Bay Area Rapid Transportation, our train system that can take you around downtown and the Mission. You can also ride to SF on it from the San Francisco airport for less than $10! Their schedule's on their website: bart.gov
    • MUNI -- you can catch their street cars, buses and underground trains. For a full schedule, go to 511.org. It's $2 currently and you can get a transfer if you plan on transferring or riding it again within the next 90 minutes.
    • Cabs/taxis -- just flag one down. And there are actually two ridesharing services in SF that are very similar to catching a cab and I actually prefer them. Lyft, and Sidecar. Just Google both of them to see what they're all about and how to use them.

There's always the cable car, too, which some people who live here do take for public transportation :P

By the way, I don't know how long you're staying, but you can buy a 1, 3, or 7 day MUNI visitors pass to suit your needs. More info here: http://www.sfmta.com/getting-around/transit/fares-passes/visitor-day-passes

Hope this helps you decide to visit SF. It's a great city! :)

• Liz O.

Liz O.

Wow, thanks so much! That's very good to know and makes me want to visit! I'll definitely look into a visitor's pass for the bus :) · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Debbie a Thank You Note