• Supun Edirisinghe
  • "Following the footsteps of the G.O.A.T up "The Hill""

Supun Edirisinghe

Carson (California), California

Following the footsteps of the G.O.A.T up "The Hill"

This is a question for the 49ers fans. I saw a documentary about Jerry Rice a few years ago and it talked about the hill work outs he did at a place called "The Hill". They were talking about how Jerry Rice, Roger Craig and their conditioning coach would run up a four mile hill and how Rice would pretty much be able to sprint the last 2 miles. Rice took a page from Walter Payton and took pride every time he would make players like Ricky Waters throw up from trying to keep up with him. Since I'm getting closer to 40, I wanted to try doing a run up "The Hill". I kind of remember a friend telling me that the trail is in or near Redwood City. 

Has anyone seen Jerry Rice doing his runs? I'm curious if there's a set time that he's there. I hear that he still does runs up there pretty often. It would be awesome to be passed by a 50+ year old Jerry Rice.

• Supun Edirisinghe

Looks like according to this article, "The Hill" is at Edgewood Park & Natural Preserve
    (10 Old Stage Coach Rd, Emerald Hills, CA 94062) about 12 miles away from Chris B's answer. Both places look beautiful and green. I might be up that way in a few weeks to run in that area. Here's the video from 49ers.com that has some views of The Hill. Here's another article with turn by turn directions on the route Mr. Rice supposedly took. A buddy that used to live up there just sent me the video and the article about it when I asked him if Windy Hill was the place.

UPDATE:
    I finally came up and ran The Hill with a friend on 4/20/2014. It's a really great place to run in the spring time when everything is green. What I liked the most that there was a mostly shady route on the way up.

On sundays they have a wild flower tour from 10-11am. At the top of the hill is a bench and I was thinking that it would be great to come up on a full moon evening and just sit.

1. Edgewood Park & Natural Preserve (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Supun a Thank You Note