• Mick Sonchin
  • "Cheap Hotels and Crazy Adventures. "

Cheap Hotels and Crazy Adventures.

I will be headed to San Fran from Aug 7-27. I will be doing a training course at the Hotel Nikko at 222 Mason Street.  Anyone know any hotels in the area for $55 or so? 

As well I will be heading down with my sister from Aug 7-11. What are the top 3 tourist things we have to do and 3 hidden gems. Food, Quirky, Urban, Adventure anything! We are on a budget but can afford 1 or 2 indulgances. Thansk! 

• Debbie Lee

Hey Mick, do you think it's possible for you to up your budget to about $100/night? In a city where tiny one bedroom apartments are ~$3000 a month, it would be rough to find a hotel for less than $150 a night in the summer time, even in a not-so-great neighborhood in the city, or in one of the relatively cheaper surrounding cities.

I do know of one place that has hotel rooms for about $100/night though -- Civic Center Inn . They're about a half mile from Hotel Nikko , so about a 10 minute walk away, and they're located on Polk Street , which is a bustling street full of restaurants, bars, and stores. Maybe you can call them up and see if they can work out a deal for you since you're taking a bit of an extended stay.

Here's another option: if you don't mind not sharing rooms and bathrooms, $55 is a possibility at hostels and on Airbnb. Hotel Nikko is actually near hostel central in SF, so you'd be very close to it. USA Hostel seems to be a very popular one. I think for about $50'ish/night, you get to stay in something that's similar to a dorm room.

You can also look into Airbnb, which if you haven't heard of it before, is a site where people can rent out their rooms and it's a very big thing in San Francisco. There are typically three categories of pads -- entire apt/home, private room, and shared room. For $55, I think you may be able to find a private or shared room on there.

As far as things to do, I wouldn't call these hidden gems, but they're local things to do -- grab sandwiches at Ike's Place (call ahead, the line's insane), grab a pint of ice cream at Bi-Rite Creamery (bypass the line waiting for scoops and head straight to the fridge and cashier), maybe a bottle of wine at Bi-Rite Market across the street, then walk to Dolores Park for a picnic on a weekend afternoon.

Spend your other day at Golden Gate Park and check out the Bison Paddock , de Young Museum , Stow Lake ... so much stuff there.

For touristy things, go walk the Ferry Building . Try to go on Saturday morning when there's a farmer's market and you can grab all sorts of good food at the food stands. Then walk up to Pier 39 and take in the sights of our version of the boardwalk. Then walk up to Fisherman's Wharf to see sea lions lounging. Maybe you can even rent a bike from there and bike across the Golden Gate Bridge .

Of course, where Hotel Nikko is, you'll notice that there's tons to walk around and see there, too, Powell Street , Union Square , etc.

Let me know if you have want any other recommendations and I hope you enjoy SF! :)

1. Civic Center Inn (hotel)
    2. Hotel Nikko San Francisco (hotel)
    3. Polk Street (attraction)
    4. USA Hostel (hotel)
    5. Ike's Place (restaurant)
    6. Bi-Rite Creamery (attraction)
    7. Bi-Rite Market (attraction)
    8. Dolores Park (attraction)
    9. Golden Gate Park (attraction)
    10. Bison Paddock (attraction)
    11. De Young Museum (attraction)
    12. Stow Lake (attraction)
    13. Ferry Building (attraction)
    14. Pier 39 (attraction)
    15. Fisherman's Wharf (attraction)
    16. Golden Gate Bridge (attraction)
    17. Powell Street (attraction)
    18. Union Square (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Debbie a Thank You Note