• Debbie Lee
  • "Any weekend trip ideas within a 3 hour drive of San Francisco?"

Debbie Lee

San Francisco, California

Any weekend trip ideas within a 3 hour drive of San Francisco?

I'd like to go on a drive somewhere for the 4th of July weekend, but am having a hard time deciding where!  Any suggestions as to a city/area where it would be nice and fun to to stay for a day or two?

• Tiffany Weber

I love Monterey, so I'd go there. It's small, but beautiful. Take highway 1 down the coast. Stop in Pescadero and eat at the famous Duarte's Tavern. It's a great place to stop for lunch and a walk. I also love going to Pebble Beach near there. It's not the famous one, but near Pescadero, you'll see signs for it. On the right is a small beach of pebbles and on the left are rocks and tide pools. If you walk out far enough, you'll see sea lions on the rocks and may even get pretty close to them.

Santa Cruz is a great place to stop as well and could even fill a couple days. It's an artsy little town with quite a few good Greek restaurants. I like Capitola, just south, for it's shops and cafes.

Monterrey itself is amazing. There are beaches, the famous Monterey Bay Aquarium, and a fun area along Cannery Row. There are also some beautiful state parks just south of Monterrey and Carmel which is quite popular and a bit pricy, but nice.

This is an area just to drive around and explore. You'll see sea lions and sea otters out in the wild, there are tons of places to walk, hike or kayak (kayak in the Monterey Bay), and some great restaurants to explore.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, Tiffany! I actually went on a road trip to San Luis Obispo last month and wanted to stop by Monterey to explore (since I've only been to the aquarium!), but unfortunately, I didn't have time. I've never been to some of these places before, so maybe I'll find a place to stay in Carmel, drive down the 1 and hit all of them up. Thanks again! · (0 likelikes)

• Tiffany W.

Tiffany W.

No problem, Debbie. I've been spending summers in San Fran most of my life and that coastal route is one of my favorites. :) Enjoy! · (1 likelikes)

This is definitely a nice place to spend your summers!!! :) · (0 likelikes)

1. Monterey (city)
    2. Pescadero (city)
    3. Duarte's Tavern (restaurant)
    4. Santa Cruz (city)
    5. Capitola (city)
    6. Monterey Bay Aquarium (attraction)
    7. Cannery Row (attraction)
    8. Carmel (attraction)
    9. Monterey Bay (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tiffany a Thank You Note