Elizabeth Oakes

Munich, Germany

Must do in Salzburg

What are the best things you saw, tasted, or experienced in Salzburg? I am hoping to go for a day trip soon and will most likely be traveling alone, so any and all advice is welcome! 

• Amy O

Good choice! Salzburg is like a fairytale! Luckily, most of the nicest things to see are very close together in the old district by the fortress.

First, go see the Festung Hohensalzburg (also called Festungsburg) On your way, walk through the Residenzplatz (scenes from Sound of Music filmed here). In the square is the Salzburg cathedral. If you like cathedrals, this one is very nice inside. Walking through the old city is just a beautiful and pleasant stroll as well with wonderful architecture.

Now the fortress.You can take an elevator up, but if you hike up the road the view is well worth the fitness lesson. Plus you can visit the Stuff. There's a spectacular view of old Salzburg along the river. Absolutely gorgeous! Especially at this time of year when the surrounding mountains are covered in snow!

Once you're done exploring the fortress and its museum, go back down the hill forward Petersfriedhof. There's a very pretty and quaint cemetery at this church and if you time it right you might be able to explore the caves/catacombs nearby (unfortunately, I don't know the hours as they are odd and change during different seasons). Down the hill there is a market that sells homemade, seasonal food. I personally like the hot, chocolate covered pretzels that are bigger than your head. Continue exploring the old city at your leisure. If you're a fan of Mozart, go visit his birth house on this side of the river, and his childhood home on the other side.

If you have time or a second day, take the opportunity to hike up Kapuzinerberg. Aside from being beautiful and extremely peaceful and serene, this hill looks out on the fortress across the river and has one of the most beautiful views over ever seen - the fortress surrounded by snow topped mountains and the old city; especially in fall with the leaves turning. See if you can find the hidden cattle on the hill and the monument to Mozart. I spent almost 4 hours on this hill. It was so lovely I almost didn't want to leave it.

While on this side of the river, take the time to explore the beautiful Stein Alley and Linzergasse. These pedestrian streets have a wonderful old time feel. Gasthof Alter Fuchs on Linzergasse has an amazing feta cheese cordon bleu and beef soup and dumplings.

Alternatively, if you love The Sound of Music, this is the city where it was filmed and they have themed bus and walking tours. Nearby are the salt mines that are the city's namesake. You can go caving or mine carting in them if you don't mind going further afield.

Salzburg is an absolutely beautiful city - especially at this time of year. I hope that you enjoy your trip there as much as I did!

Amazing! Thanks for sharing, Amy :) · (0 likelikes)

1. Festung Hohensalzburg (attraction)
    2. Residenzplatz (attraction)
    3. Kapuzinerberg (attraction)
    4. Stein Alley (attraction)
    5. Linzergasse (attraction)
    6. Gasthof Alter Fuchs (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Amy a Thank You Note