• Kelsey Pyle
  • "Is a tour/tour guide necessary for Rwanda & Ethiopia? "

Kelsey Pyle

Los Angeles, California

Is a tour/tour guide necessary for Rwanda & Ethiopia?

My spouse & I will be traveling to Rwanda & Ethiopia and we're wondering if either country is doable on its own. I feel like so many tour companies want to scare people into believing they can't do it themselves so they dish out tons of money. Any suggestions or insight will be appreciated!

• Hana no

I cannot speak for Rwanda, but Ethiopia is definitely doable on your own! All you really need is a good guide book. Ethiopians are famously friendly, so if nothing else, you can always ask your hotel/accommodation for recommendations when it comes to transportation outside the city or tips of great places to go!

I definitely recommend the National Museum Of Ethiopia for some great history and to see a cast of Lucy! Pop into the Red Terror Museum for a sobering afternoon with a free guided tour. Merkato can be quite the adventure, but well worth it. I would say this is a place where it would be best to go with a local, and probably the main place in Addis you'll need to keep an eye on your wallet.

Speaking of money, be aware that in Ethiopia you haggle the price for you trip before you get in a cab, and that their initial bid will ALWAYS be too high, ESPECIALLY if you look like a foreigner. The more words you learn in Amharic for this purpose the more you're likely to get off, I think ;)

This double pricing is common all over the country for things like hotels and flights, as many things are government owned citizens are given a much lower price.

As always, it's better to have a friend or two wherever you visit, but it's definitely not a deal breaker for Ethiopia.

1. National Museum Of Ethiopia (attraction)
    2. Red Terror Museum (attraction)
    3. Merkato (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Hana a Thank You Note