Katharina Boden

Hong Kong, China

Where to live in Rome

My boyfriend and I will be moving from Hong Kong to Rome end of this year. We are a young couple who loves to live close to where things are happening (great dining scene, lovely boutiques and lively streets). As this is more for a long-term stay we don't necessarily need to stay very close to any of the important sights.

I have only been to Rome once and probably haven't seen even half of it and so, I am curious to read your ideas and suggestions.
If you are a Rome expert, Rome lover or regular visitor please let me know your thoughts on trendy neighbourhoods and liveable areas. Thank you!

• Smantha S

I have two suggestions for you with pros and cons,i have tried my best to give you appropriate answers.

Trastevere: It is one the best place for Young expats.It has good atmosphere and being part of historic center. For every place there are pros and cons.

►Pros: Wonderful restaurants and bars on every corner, picturesque and inspiring visually, very central, a mecca for expats.

►Cons: Noisy and overrun with students at night, you might hear more English on the streets than Italian, very difficult to find parking, restricted traffic at certain hours, no Metro nearby, apartments are generally small and expensive.

Testaccio

Testaccio was once one of Rome’s working-class districts, and was famous for its slaughter house, which has now been turned into a modern art museum. It also have some pros and cons

►Pros: Less expensive than Trastevere , not touristy, great nightlife, in walking distance of Trastevere.

►Cons: Not as picturesque as other areas of the center, loud at night near nightclubs (Via Monte di Testaccio), not close to Metro.

• Katharina B.

Katharina B.

Thanks, Smantha. These are great and valuable insights. · (0 likelikes)

1. Roma Trastevere (attraction)
    2. Testaccio (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Smantha a Thank You Note