• Stef Poessel
  • "What are the top 5 things I can't miss in Rome?"

Stef Poessel

Germany

What are the top 5 things I can't miss in Rome?

Hi guys,

I need some recommendations. What do I have to do in 4 days in Rome? What are the must-do's, what are some hidden secret spots you know? Can you recommend places to eat as well?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Stef

Update: Thank you very much for all your answers. They have been so helpful and I'm really looking forward to plan the trip to Rome. One more question: Is it worth it to buy a Roma Pass in your opinion?

• Colosseum (attraction)

1 Piazza del Colosseo Roma Roma 00184 06 3996 7700

• Trevi Fountain (attraction)

Via Ottaviano 73 Rome 00187 328 898 1069

• Vatican City (city)

Vatican City

• Alex Jorge

Oh goody, one of my favourite cities to write about! Stef, you have received some great recommendations already so I will try to add a bit to it.

Rome is best explored in pockets, focusing on the big tourist sites and smaller treasures in each neighborhood. It is easiest to plan this way, you can walk, take a bus or metro to a specific neighborhood or quarter and spent a half-day or day exploring it, slowly making your way back to the hotel or centre. Here is how I would divide up the time:

Day 1: Rome's Neighborhoods

Begin your day in the Campo dè Fiori market (have a breakfast bread from Il Forno or Aristocampo). Behind the square, towards the river, you will find the Michalengelo facade of the Palazzo Farnesewhich is now the French Embassy. Close by, the Palazzo Spada has an amazing colonade corridor that is a mind-boggling trick of perspective, can you figure the trick out? Walk down the via Giubbonari into the old Jewish Ghetto. See if you can find the Turtle Fountain, one of the most charming fountains in Rome.

Campo dè Fioriimage from romeartlover.it
    Walk towards the Marcello Theater, the Colosseum smaller (and older) sibling is a hidden gem, a great example of how houses were built in layers over massive masterpieces.

You will be heading to the smaller forum boarium with the intact small temples of Fortuna and Victorious Hercules. On your left will be the monumental Arch of Janus. Continue on to the Byzantine Basilica di Santa Maria in Cosmedin where you will find the finest mosaics in Rome and the Bocca della Verità

Bocca della Veritàimage from planetware.comWalk up the Aventine Hill to the Giardino degli Aranci. On the top of the hill you can visit other stunning Medieval and Byzantine churches but the one unique find is in the dead-end Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta. Look through the keyhole of the Knights of Malta and you will find one of the most sought-after views of St Peter's.

From there continue on to the Trastevere neighborhood across the river. Explore the main sites which include St Maria in Trastevere Basilica and try out the many caffes, osterias and trattorias of one of Rome's most typical residential neighborhoods (great for an authentic inexpensive dinner).

Piazza Navona

Day 2: From Rome to Renaissance

Begin your day by arriving at the Borghese Gallery and Museum first thing in the morning (tickets bought online and in advance). Visiting the Bernini sculpture collection is, for me, a must -- these are likely to be the most perfect lifelike marble sculptures you will ever see.

Enjoy a stroll through Rome's largest park, walk through the Borghese Gardens towards the Piazza del Popolo. From there, take the high road towards the Piazza Di Spagna and the Spanish steps. Continue on to the Trevi Fountain from where you should turn to the Via del Corso and the Piazza Colonna. Nearby is the stunning (and often unseen) Piazza di Pietrawhere an ancient Roman Temple has been converted into the stock exchange. Onwards to Church of St Ignatius of Loyola which has the most spectacular Baroque ceiling, a false perspective which makes a flat roof look like a round cupola. If you love art, a visit to the Galleria Doria Pamphilj is also well worth it.

Pantheon

Next on to the Via Roma and the Pantheon. Take a quick turn to the back of the Pantheon to the Piazza Minerva where Bernini's little elephant and obelisk sculpture sits. Enter the St Maria Sopra Minerva Basilica, Rome's Gothic basilica -- again the exterior looks like nothing special but the interior is inspiring. If you walk all the way to the altar you will find one of Michalengelo's earliest sculptures of John the Baptist (all free, and you can up close).

Walk now to Sapienza University of Rome (make a stop at my favourite coffee shop of Sant-Eustacchio), enter the gates to find the beautiful and very petite Saint Ivo Alla Sapienzahidden inside, a tiny white masterpiece of baroque. Now onwards towards the famous Piazza Navona, see if you can find one of Rome's 'speaking statues', the Pasquino. In the Square, the church of Sant'Angnese in Agona is worth a quick visit, it is Bernini's architectural masterpiece.

Day 3: Christian Rome

Begin your day at the Vatican Museums (must buy advance tickets). If you arrive in the first visiting slot, then skip the museum proper and dart straight to the Sistine Chapel (you can return to the museum later), this is the only way to visit the chapel without crowds, with enough space to really admire the paintings.

After visiting the Vatican, walk down the main avenue to the Castel Sant'Angelo. This is a great place to enjoy the sunset from. If it is too early, then I suggest a stroll through Trastevere to the Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi and a climb up the Gianicolo (Janiculum) where you can find another gem, Bernini's Tempietto. Alternatively, continue north on the river walk to the Ara Pacis and the Piazza Navona.

Vatican Museums

Day 4: Imperial Rome

Begin in the Capitoline Hill or Capitoline Hill which was Michalengelo's last project. Walk up the grand staircase and visit the Museum if you fancy it. More importantly, stay to your right and walk all the way to the back of city hall, at the end of the alley you will be greeted by one of the best views of the Roman Forum. Retrace your steps and return to street level on the left of the City Hall building.

Roman Forumimage from touritalynow.com

Walk down the Via Forum Imperiali between the Trajan Forum and the Imperial Forum towards the Colosseum. If you like architecture, before entering the Colosseum, walk to the back towards the Via Labicana to visit the very early-Christian St. Clement Basilica. Buy a joint Colosseum and Forum ticket and spent some time visiting the amphitheater before walking back through the Roman Forum.

Colosseum

From the Monument of Vittorio Emmanuelle at the Piazza Venezia, if you feel like another long climb, walk up the grand staircase of the Church of Santa Maria in Aracoeli Basilica, the facade is blank brick but the guilded interior and marbled floor makes this one of the most beautiful and most hidden Roman treasures.

You can spend the rest of the day wandering in your favourite area or visiting some other sites, for example the super modern MAXXI Museum. Or you could just go shopping :)

Piazza Di Spagnaimage from artecheguardaversoilfuturo.wordpress.com

In terms of restaurants, La Tartaruga cantina (behind sant'andrea della valle) is one of my favs, been going for over 10years. A lunch sandwich at Aristo Campoin campo de fiori is a must for me, as well as baked goods from Il Forno Campo de' Fiori(across the street). Other options include Constanza hosteria at Piazza Paradiso, Pizzeria Remo in Testaccio, Nino at Via Borgognona, Osteria del Belli in Trastevere (great neighborhood for good traditional antipasti restaurants), and the Roman Jewish cuisine in Il Piperno and Ba'' Ghetto (amazing artichokes and courgette flowers!). For the best gelato, I recommend San Crispino by the chruch of Santa Maria Maddalena near the Pantheon.

Hope this information helps you plan! Feel free to reach out if you need any more info or details.

1. Campo dè Fiori (attraction)
    2. Palazzo Farnese (attraction)
    3. Turtle Fountain (attraction)
    4. Marcello Theater (attraction)
    5. Basilica di Santa Maria in Cosmedin (attraction)
    6. Bocca della Verità (attraction)
    7. Giardino degli Aranci (attraction)
    8. Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta (unknown)
    9. Trastevere (neighborhood)
    10. St Maria in Trastevere Basilica (attraction)
    11. Borghese Gallery and Museum (attraction)
    12. Piazza del Popolo (attraction)
    13. Piazza Di Spagna (attraction)
    14. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
    15. Piazza Colonna (unknown)
    16. Piazza di Pietra (unknown)
    17. Church of St Ignatius of Loyola (attraction)
    18. Galleria Doria Pamphilj (attraction)
    19. Pantheon (attraction)
    20. St Maria Sopra Minerva Basilica (attraction)
    21. Sapienza University of Rome (attraction)
    22. Saint Ivo Alla Sapienza (attraction)
    23. Piazza Navona (attraction)
    24. Vatican Museums (attraction)
    25. Castel Sant'Angelo (attraction)
    26. Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi (unknown)
    27. Gianicolo (attraction)
    28. Tempietto (attraction)
    29. Ara Pacis (attraction)
    30. Capitoline Hill (attraction)
    31. Roman Forum (attraction)
    32. Colosseum (attraction)
    33. St. Clement Basilica (attraction)
    34. Santa Maria in Aracoeli Basilica (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Alex a Thank You Note