• Mira Dominguez
  • "Public transportation in Rome?"

Mira Dominguez

Los Angeles, California

Public transportation in Rome?

Can someone tell me what the public transportation is like in Rome? Is it safe for a group of girls and is it just buses or are there subways? Are there any discounted passes?

I'm going to Florence for sure next year (actually first time in Italy!!!) and I was thinking about going to Rome if it is easy to get around and fits into our budget  I have no idea what it's like over there so hoping to get an idea here!

• Rome (city)

Rome Lazio

• Florence (city)

Florence Tuscany

• DMae Binkley

Hi Mira,

You have gotten some very good responses! If you come to Rome from Florence, you will arrive at the Stazione Roma Terminiand the metro lines and many busses are there. The public transportation system includes both busses and the metro. As mentioned, there are two metro lines that sort of make an 'X' that meets in the middle at Termini station.

The best way to get around Rome is by walking. It is a pretty compact place and you will discover all sorts of marvels just walking from one place to another. If you need to travel a longer distance or your feet give out, there is usually a public bus, tram or metro somewhere you can access.

Try this link to get all the information you need about the transportation. A three day pass is a great savings; you can hop on and off busses and metros all day long without getting a new ticket. There is also a weekly pass and a monthly pass. You can purchase those passes easily at a Tabacchi shop. Those shops have either a white or a blue sign with a large 'T' on it.

One word of advice - if you can avoid bus route 40, do so. It is a haven for pickpockets as it is heavily used by tourists. Besides, it is very, very crowded most of the time.

• Mira D.

Mira D.

Great to know that there are these options. Thanks a bunch for your advice on what to take and what to avoid! Very much appreciated!!! · (0 likelikes)

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

These are great suggestions! I've added an "@" sign next to your suggestions so that they show up on the right hand side in a list and mapped. It's a really cool function on Trippy! · · (0 likelikes)

3. Stazione Roma Termini (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send DMae a Thank You Note