Michele Finstad

Yuba City, California

Off the beaten path in Rome

We plan to visit Rome in May, 2015 and we have three days there. Besides the main attraction, what are some "off the beaten track" gems that you have discovered? Restaurants, shops, churches, etc. Also, in your opinion, what tourist attractions are worthy of skipping?

• Roman Forum (attraction)

Between the Capitol and the Colosseum Rome Lazio 00100 +39 039 060608

• Colosseum (attraction)

1 Piazza del Colosseo Roma Roma 00184 06 3996 7700

• Spanish Steps (attraction)

20 Piazza di Spagna Rome Roma 00187

• Travis Huyghebaert

Like others have said, three days is a decent amount of time for a whirlwind trip around the eternal city. Thankfully, it's pretty easy to throw in some lesser-known sites as there's just so many of them. I'm sure you don't want to get too far out into the neighbourhoods, so I will just suggest some near the main sites.

Assuming you are going to make your way to the Colosseum and Roman Forum (which are amazing and a must-see), you could easily add in the nearby St. Clement Basilica (Basilico San Clemente), which while stunningly beautiful in its own right, is built upon a 4th century church which is above a 1st century home/temple which is above a 1st century AD set of buildings. It's very cool to make your way down through different buildings from different eras.

If you make the walk down the Via Veneto (from La Dolce Vita), take a diversion away from the expensive cafes and shops into the Santa Maria della Consolazione and see the unreal Capuchin Crypts. The crypts contain the skeletal remains of more than 3700 bodies organized into somewhat artistic displays - definitely a unique experience.

I wrote about these two in a blog post if you want to see some photos - http://haveblogwilltravel.org/three-lesser-known-attractions-in-rome

Besides these two suggestions, you could take an early morning walk through the Campo dè Fiori market, or catch some shade in the Borghese Gardens.

Rome is an amazing city - the world famous sites (the Colosseum, the Vatican Museums, the Pantheon, etc.) are famous for a reason - they are some of the most amazing things to see in the world. I'm sure you will have a blast. If you want some good resources on how to plan out your time check out these sites

http://www.rome.info/itineraries/

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/rome/705671#sthash.TKFQ0bEI.dpbs

1. Colosseum (attraction)
    2. Roman Forum (attraction)
    3. St. Clement Basilica (attraction)
    4. Via Veneto (unknown)
    5. Santa Maria della Consolazione (attraction)
    6. Campo dè Fiori (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Travis a Thank You Note