• Ashley Edds
  • "First trip to Italy--help me do it right"

Ashley Edds

Durham (North Carolina), North Carolina

First trip to Italy--help me do it right

So, Italy has been my goal since I was about 12. Planning to go on a moderate budget for ~1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks in April. Planning to look at B&B or rooms for rent in small houses instead of hotels. Planning to hit Rome, Vatican, Cinque Terre. Anywhere else we should see? I don't want to spread ourselves too thinly but I want to make sure I see and experience as much as possible. Otherwise, recommendations for things to do in these places? Best hole in the wall restaurant? Best place to spend an afternoon? Best way to get from place to place? Any recommendations are welcome. 

• Florence (city)

Florence Tuscany

• Rome, Italy (attraction)

Rome Lazio 00154

• Venice (city)

Venice Veneto

• Erin Cannata

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in Italy and fell in love with it. Rome, Italy was our second stop on the trip and then we headed up to Cinque Terre Consorzio Turistico. We started in Positano so if you can squeeze that in, I would highly recommend it. You can take a train from Rome to Salerno and then a ferry to most of the Amalfi Coast cities. I think the high speed train was about 2 hours or so. Or you can take a train from Rome to Napoli and then a taxi to Positano (about an hour or so). We stayed at the most incredible B&B and it's the only place we'll ever stay when we go back. Check out the reviews...the owners are the most wonderful people, the accommodations were perfect, location was great. I actually cried when we left because everyone was so great. Casa Buonocore.

In Rome, I would recommend doing a bike tour. It was a great way to see the city and explore some really interesting parts we would have never seen. www.romarentbike.com. Francesco was our guide and he was fantastic. He also gave us tons of recommendations for restaurants and things to do/not to waste time/money on. If you do Vatican City and go to the Vatican, pre-book one of the guided tours. It's worth every penny and you bypass a huge line. One thing we didn't realize is that the Pope has a papal audience on Wednesdays so St. Peter's Basilica is closed that day.

As far as restaurants in Rome, we were told (and learned the hard way) to skip anything in a main piazza. They're going to be very touristy, the food is so-so and over-priced. You'll be able to spot these with the person waiving you down from outside and the advertised "tourist menu." Trastevere is a wonderful neighborhood of Rome and definitely worth visiting at night. During the day it looks fairly quiet but at night is when everything opens - tons of great restaurants, bars, music, etc. one of our favorite meals of our entire trip was at Taverna Trilussa in Trastevere. Also, amazing cannolis near the Pantheon. I cannot remember the name of the bakery for the life of me but if you head from the Pantheon just a minute towards Montecitori Palace, it is directly to the left if you're facing that government building. Oh, one last night about Rome... Visit the Villa Borghese Gardens just before sunset- absolutely stunning view of the entire city and the Vatican.

From Rome we took the train to Cinque Terre (you'll have to stop in La Spezia I believe). I know most people say you can buy your tickets at the station but the kiosks are a bit temperamental and don't always work. We bought most of the ones we could online (www.trenitalia.com).

Buy the Cinque Terre card as well because you'll be able to ride as many times a day and you'll also have free wifi in each city. We actually stayed in Levanto and hiked to Monterosso al Mare, Vernazza and Corniglia. The hike from Levanto to Monterosso and then to Vernazza are about 2 hours. Be sure to wear tennis shoes and not sandals. In Vernazza, you have to try the focaccia any gelato from Vernazza Gelateria (it was the best we had during our entire trip).

In Corniglia, we wished we would have had time to have lunch or dinner at A Cantina da Mananan. It looked and smelled wonderful.

That's all I can think of for now but I'm more that happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Have a wonderful trip!

• Lawrence M.

Lawrence M.

I think including both the Cinque Terra and the Amalfi Coast means a lot of transport time to achieve essentially similar results. If you want to visit Pompeii, The Amalfi Coast is conveniently nearby. Cinque Terra gets you closer to Florence, Genoa, or (stretching a bit) Milan. · (0 likelikes)

• Emma H.

Emma H.

Great answer. I did almost the same trip. One thing I would strongly advise is to download the Rick Steve Audio Europe App or visit his website for free downloads. This will help you better appreciate what you are seeing and is a rather enjoyable audio guide without being dry. · (0 likelikes)

1. Rome, Italy (attraction)
    2. Cinque Terre Consorzio Turistico (attraction)
    3. Positano (city)
    4. Salerno (city)
    5. Amalfi Coast (attraction)
    6. Naples (city)
    7. Vatican City (city)
    8. St. Peter's Basilica (attraction)
    9. Trastevere (neighborhood)
    10. Taverna Trilussa (restaurant)
    11. Montecitori Palace (attraction)
    12. Villa Borghese (attraction)
    13. La Spezia (city)
    14. Levanto (city)
    15. Monterosso al Mare (city)
    16. Vernazza (city)
    17. Corniglia (city)
    18. A Cantina da Mananan (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Erin a Thank You Note