• Jen J
  • "Best cities in Italy for a solo female traveler? "

Jen J

Los Angeles, California

Best cities in Italy for a solo female traveler?

I'm planning on heading to Italy in the next couple of months (mid/late May or July) and will be on my own. I travel solo often, but always want to be as cautious as possible. I also want to make sure I don't miss out on adventures & sight seeing because of being too cautious.

I will be flying into Rome and staying anywhere from 10-15 days, depending on the recommendations. Moderate budget- any and all recommendations for cities and/or hotels much appreciated! When I travel I typically like to mix some time by the beach, seeing museums or archaeological (or UNESCO World Heritage Sites) sites, exploring the cities and learning more about local life, all while staying as active as possible. 

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you and safe travels to everyone!

• Florence (city)

Florence Tuscany

• Rome (city)

Rome Lazio

• Sardinia (island)

Sardenha

• Brenda Burns

I would fly to Rome in May (too hot and crowded mid summer). After landing, spend 3 or 4 days in Rome. See the Colosseum and Roman Forum and Palatine Hill, have a meal in Trastevere, don't miss the Borghese Gallery and Museum and gardens and spend a day at the vatican. Have a negroni while sitting at an outside cafe near Piazza Navona. Usually on the first trip you want to knock out all the touristy stuff. Rome felt very safe. Just be smart at night and stay on busy streets and squares.

I would next train to Napoli and on to charming Sorrento. Take the Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento. It is crowded and pick pocket central but you will have packed light and have a cross body bag because you are a smart solo traveler... so no worries. Base in Sorrento for 3 or 4 days. Visit Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast including Ravello, and visit Ischia (where the locals go for thermal baths and island fun.). If you are brave spend a day in Naples and eat the famous pizza and visit the museum that houses the treasures of pompeii. It's safe during the day. I walked all around as a single gal and felt fine.

Finally, travel by train to Florence for your last five days. DO NOT LET YOUR LUGGAGE OUT OF YOUR SIGHT! I considered myself a savy traveler but had my luggage above my head and it was stolen. Florence and Sorrento are very safe at night for a single female. See the pitti palace, the David, visit the a

The Baptistery of St. John and the Duomo. Take the bus on a day trip to Siena or do a wine tour. You can fly from Florence Airport to a hub airport for your flight home. Wow...can I come too?

• Polly B.

Polly B.

This answer is spot on, both as far as your concerns, and as a great itinerary for the time allotted! · (1 likelikes)

• Jen J.

Jen J.

Thank you very much for such a thoughtful and detailed response! I will most certainly take all of this info into account when planning my itinerary! And yes, haha, since we are neighbors here in So Cal, you are more than welcome to join me for a girl's Italian adventure getaway! · (0 likelikes)

2. Colosseum (attraction)
    3. Roman Forum and Palatine Hill (attraction)
    4. Trastevere (neighborhood)
    5. Borghese Gallery and Museum (attraction)
    6. Piazza Navona (attraction)
    7. Naples (city)
    8. Sorrento (city)
    9. Pompeii (city)
    10. Amalfi Coast (attraction)
    11. Ravello (city)
    12. Ischia (city)
    14. The Baptistery of St. John (attraction)
    15. Duomo (attraction)
    16. Siena (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Brenda a Thank You Note