• Dennis Schaal
  • "4-star hotel in Rome for $175/night"

4-star hotel in Rome for $175/night

This baby-boomer is traveling to Rome in late July for a long weekend with my baby-boomer girlfriend. We're looking for a 4-star hotel in a semi-hip location that would be good for two people who want to explore the city for the first time, just people-watching, eating/drinking and going with the flow. Any recommendations?

• Alana Bush

A four-star hotel for $175 a night? I’m not sure how many choices you'll have with those criteria, especially in the summer because honestly, in a city like Rome, that’s more like a three-star rate. That said, I’m happy to give you my faves as someone who loves Rome!

My absolute favorite place is the Donna Camilla Savelli Hotel . All I can say is gorgeous —and I am underselling this. It used to be a convent and rooms are out of control gorgeous. The best part, though? There’s an insane outdoor rooftop place to eat. I know we didn’t pay a lot for this place—I’m almost sure you can get something for $175 here (sometimes if you check a hotel’s website they have good deals so I would check theirs for sure) but I know it’s not four star. I have to say, this is my go-to place when I’m there.

Crossing Condotti is one of the most elegant hotels I think I’ve ever seen and not stuffy at all. Totally homey and comfortable and it was in a fabulous location. I want to say the rooms are around 200 euro but this was in January so you’ll have to check. Actually pretty romantic, too if that’s a concern.

Hotel Lunetta is a total gem. You should definitely be able to book something in the 200/euro range here. I know it’s not the Ritz but it’s really tasteful, very clean, it was well-located—it even had a spa as well as well as a really nice breakfast (which was included in our hotel charge).

Check out UNA Hotel Roma , too. It was very close to the train station which was great and we had a killer view from our terrace. Great breakfast, very clean, etc. Don’t remember the rate but I know it was good.

Another one to look into is Leon's Place Hotel . The décor is a little sleek and monochromatic for me, but I still think it’s great. It definitely falls in the “hip” category I would say—lots of mirrors and lights. I don’t remember what the exact rate here was, but I’m sure it was under 200 euros for sure. The bar here is actually really great, too. Didn’t try the spa, but I’m sure there is one.

I hope you two have a good time in one of my favorite cities in the world!

1. Donna Camilla Savelli Hotel (hotel)
    2. Crossing Condotti (hotel)
    3. Hotel Lunetta (hotel)
    4. UNA Hotel Roma (hotel)
    5. Leon's Place Hotel (hotel)

• ·
    • ·

Send Alana a Thank You Note