• Wayne Benson
  • "Newer restaurants, bars, and things to see "

Wayne Benson

New Hampton (New York), New York

Newer restaurants, bars, and things to see

I grew up in Rochester but its been about a good 20 years since I've really explored the city.  This year, the wife and I will be spending the holidays with my family in Rochester, and I was wondering if there were any new places that I should visit.  I'm sure everything's changed, so what are the newer restaurants, bars, stores, parks, and what have you, that I should try to visit?  I usually only stay for a day or two during visits, but this time, I plan on staying at least 5.

• Rocco Carzo

That's awesome, Wayne!

I continue to be surprised by all the new restaurants and urban renewal projects going on in the city.

As far as restaurants go, I would definitely recommend checking out:

1. Good Luck Restaurant
    2. The Revelry
    3. Char Steak & Lounge (part of the brand-new, fully-renovated Strathallan Hotel.
    4. The Gate House (for a more relaxed, causal scene; great burgers) -- in the Village Gate, which continues to undergo renovations.

If you're a serious coffee drinker (or am just curious to visit a pour-over coffee bar), there's Joe Bean Coffee Roasters right in the city. Or, for a more low-key coffee experience but great soups, salads, sandwiches and pastries, there's the Village Bakery & Cafe in Pittsford.

Also, I can't talk about Rochester and not mention Wegmans . Their new store on East Ave -- have to check that out! (They have an Italian restaurant in the store, too. But I haven't been there yet.)

The weather might not be the best, but taking a walk through Cobbs Hill Park , down Park Ave, or along the Canal, while the leaves are on the ground, is still a great activity.

The Culver Road Armory is brand new, with shops and restaurants, too. Nice to at lest see what they've done with the place -- it looks great.

Sorry for not linking this places on the top -- did this pretty quickly. But considering you're from Rochester, and the fact that it's not very big, you'll have no trouble finding them -- they're all in the city (or Pittsford).

Enjoy Ra-cha-cha.

So cool of you to share your town here, Rocco! By the way, I've helped you geo-tag the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer! :) · (0 likelikes)

• Wayne B.

Wayne B.

Wegmans -- that takes me back! My stops in Rochester these past few years have just been stops to the family home, so I'm excited to have time to trek around town this time around. It boggles my mind how much the town has changed and how many new businesses there are. Thank you very much for the suggestions, Rocco! And Debbie -- thank you and Trippy for a great map! This helps me visualize things. · (0 likelikes)

1. Good Luck Restaurant (restaurant)
    2. The Revelry (restaurant)
    3. Char Steak & Lounge (attraction)
    4. The Gate House (restaurant)
    5. Joe Bean Coffee Roasters (restaurant)
    6. Village Bakery & Cafe (restaurant)
    7. Wegmans (attraction)
    8. Cobbs Hill Park (attraction)
    9. The Culver Road Armory (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Rocco a Thank You Note